2017 Recruiting Notes

For what’s it worth two days ago guy from nextup recruits gave us the crystal ball pick for my boy Kyle young. I don’t buy that ranking after watching numerous high lights. Looks like he plays real tough competition too. Him and Poole would be a good class with big potential to rise.

Any other news? I search the Internet for articles all day at work and seem to rarely see many updates for us. If it’s not posted here I don’t see much. I’d like some other names we’ve been connected with

Those are youngs midseason highlights. Including many versus Huntington. Also they got a six minute video of Massillon versus Huntington up on YouTube. Let’s get this done already full court press him. Steal Justin Jackson and then sign one more guard in 17. Profit?

So you think point is the top priority? I have no clue, only thing to assume is we shouldn’t need a 5 since that position takes up 6 ships next year. Is the end goal to have Mo as a 4 or does he stay at the 5?

Yeah, I’d definitely say point is a top priority. Look at our roster for 2017 right now,

1 - Simpson
1/2 - Rahk - Poole
2/3 - Watson
3 - Dawkins
3/4 - Robinson
4 - Chatman
4/5 - Wagner - Wilson
5 - Donnal, Doyle, Teske, Davis

With primary position only as

1 - Simpson
2 - Rahk - Poole - Watson
3 - Robinson - Dawkins
4 - Wagner - Wilson - Chatman
5 - Donnal - Doyle - Teske - Davis

Although we have to take into account that one of Chatman or Doyle won’t be on the roster (unless Irvin goes pro this year or something), freeing up one spot for 2017 as of now. Wagner/Wilson pretty much have to be full time 4s because we have at least three guys who are exclusive 5s. And right now, we only have four guys with the ability to play guard (which has been the case the past two years and has been an issue when injuries come up), so we definitely need another guard as the first priority. And from looking you can see that backup point is the main hole, unless Beilein feels really confident in Rahk/Poole’s ability to handle.

1 Like

Yes please!

Is there going to be any Recruiting updates at all on the site with the 2016 and '17 class. Seems like its been 6 months since anything :grinning:

Well we only have 3 offers outstanding, one of which is already committed. Not gonna be that much recruiting news.

There just haven’t been any recruiting news at all really on any '17 kid.

May have a 5* visitor coming in soon.

Might you be referring to Paul Scruggs? Saw a scout article that said he might be in this weekend for Purdue. Not going to get my hopes up but he is the exact type of guard we need, known for his toughness. Might he get an offer if he does show? Always wondered if Kris Wilkes was still a serious target.

Also saw something a couple weeks ago about wing Jordan Tucker hearing more from us.

Yea, love Scruggs game.

I don’t know the depth of his interest but if he’s visiting, thats a major step. Also shows he’s recruitable.

Just know we will be looking for a '17 PG and his game would be a good compliment to Poole and could play a combo role with he and Simpson playing together. Scruggs can penetrate and get to the hoop at will. Would provide plenty of kickouts to take advantage of Poole’s shot. Poole can get to the hole too, but not like Scruggs.

We need quick twitch guards and wings for this offense to work at full potential. Downfall of this years team is aside from LeVert and sometimes Walton, nobody is willing to penetrate, finish or knows what to do with the ball when they get past a defender. Even if we do penetrate sometimes, its not consistent enough. Irvin, Dawkins, Duncan, Wilson (for now) just don’t have the ball skills to get it done. MAAR can/will sometimes when he’s on or against lower competition.

Jamal Cain

Word is consistency is an issue.

Will be great one night, average at best the next.

I’ve see him twice this year and he was great both times. I know Pershing isn’t much anymore, but Cain has the athletic ability we need going forward.

Could’ve swore I saw him at a game recently. Maybe we’ve cooled on him lately. He’ll probably be just another local who goes elsewhere and shows out.

Sumner, Reynolds, Maten, Mathews, Johnson, Felder, Bass …

What the heck we’ve got ONE native son on the roster at least!

Thanks for the response, so you think they take a pure PG in 17 or more of a combo? Always thought it was a possibility they take one in the class but haven’t seen them mentioned with anyone other than West and Jackson.

Hope Beilein is on the same page as you with what we need to target, would be a bit of a change in philosophy but has to happen. Needs to be a shakeup in the type of skill they look for, get some kids who are athletic with the ball.

Cain was at the MSU game (sadly), and apparently several prior this year.

Don’t know anything about the kid, but I do hope we expand the net from the “perfect” profile/personality to accepting those with more upside even if it comes with some refinements necessary.

Think he was at the Xavier game as well…That one didn’t go well either.

I like his game too.

Just depends on how they view Poole and Scruggs. Poole can handle the ball but can he take a lead guard spot when Simpson sits? Brian Snow, regional guy from scout, does not view him as that type of player. A kid who could run an offense for 10 mins. I semi-disagree but whatever.

I haven’t watched enough of Scruggs to know exactly what kind of guard he is. But I do know the kid can get to the hoop, finish and has pretty good ball skills.

Do they want a true '16 PG and two combo types in '17? Do they want a true PG and Poole in '17? Idk, but I’m sure it depends on how the recruitments play out. Maybe their first preference is a true PG in "17 but if Scruggs wants in…you have to take him.

If I’m JB, I’m going after a scoring point who’s big enough to guard the 2, so he can play next to and behind Simpson.