2017 Recruiting Notes

Love the way Simpson plays - tough, great handle, passing, quick.

Nice passing and shooting from all three. Perhaps the most encouraging thing is Simpson’s unexpected athleticism – the dunk and the sick block where he leaped over a teammate’s head.

1 Like

Really nice video of all three commits. Poole has range to his shot. Simpson more vertical than I thought. Watson helping to facilitate more than I expected.

So you think there might be an open ship for a wing come the spring even with us currently oversigned?

Yea, I could see there being room for a wing in the spring, after the season.

Thanks, we are going to need someone to replace Lavert’s ability to create off the dribble. Don’t think you get that in the late signing period so going to need a couple of guys to step up next year.

2017 PF PJ Washington, top-25 kid.

Man one can dream of this guy actually picking us. Exact type of 4 we need, has a motor and expanding ball skills.

Brian Bowen update
http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/593696?referrer_id=

The Michigan native has only taken two visits thus far, but this should change soon.

“I’ve only taken visits to Michigan and Michigan State so far,” he said. “Coaches want me to get down to their campus so I’m definitely going to plan some visits soon.”

UCLA, Texas, Michigan State, Louisville, Florida State and many more have offered him, but two schools have pushed the hardest with his recruitment. The rest of the schools on him as starting to even this out as the process has progressed.

“There is not one specific school, but of course my home school is Michigan and Michigan State and they try and push the hardest,” Bowen said. “Pretty much every school has the same interest in me. All of them want me to go in and be a good guy on their program.”

It was once thought that he favored Michigan State only, but Bowen says his recruitment is still wide open even though he likes the Spartans.

“I think it really does, a lot of schools tell me ‘I thought you were one hundred percent Michigan State?’ and I’m really not,” he said. “I’m an open recruitment guy, I think Michigan State a lot, but I’m an open recruitment guy.”

he will be a Sparty if they really want him.

Agree - though I do think our system would be better for him. He’s not the same mold as a Dawson/Bridges type 4. I think we would use him well at the 4 spot.

Any news of any other kids leaning our way? I really like young. Might prefer him to Jackson which might sound crazy.anyone got any visits coming up?

wonder if Beilein would recruit Shaq’s son, Shareef, a 2018 PF, with an inside outside game that fits nicely.

Yes. I’d love that and thought the same thing when I saw him. He’s ideal for us. Also we have a good track record with players sons. They seem to respect coach b and his devolpnrnt/ teaching the game the right way ect. Sign me up on him. Great player in the making. Great athlete. Would be a monster

1 Like

Good update with Brian Bowen.

There’s been a perception of you going to Michigan State because of your relationship with Jason Richardson. Is that the case?

No, not at all.

Does that affect your recruitment that people think that?

I think it really does. A lot of schools have told me that, “I thought you were one hundred percent Michigan State.” I’m really not. I’m an open recruitment guy. I like Michigan State a lot, but I’m an open recruitment guy.

I’d like to go through some of the schools that you mentioned. With Michigan, what’s their major selling pitch?

It’s a great school, academically and athletics. They see me going in there like a guys like Caris LeVert at the two-guard position and bringing out the best in me and just move forward in our recruitment and see what they’re talking about for the future.

Have you been on the campus since June?

Yes, I’ve been on the campus one time this year, but they want me to come back down there to spend some time with them for a little while.

Hey Dylan, any idea why Bowen doesn’t have an offer yet? Think it would be safe to say he is our top target outside of the offers? Really need a creator or two on the wing in the next few commitments we take.

Disappointed to see Kris Wilkes not mention us in a recent update, was hoping he, Bowen and Jordan Tucker were at the top of our list. Thanks

That sounds nice, but he’s not coming here

Any news on Kyle young?I really have my heart set on him as our next signee. I really think he’d shine here. Just looks like a winner. Overachiever written all over him. Adding him with Simpson, teske and Davis would be a nice change of direction. Lots of defense, lots of toughness. Kids with a hard nosed lunch pail attitude would be a great change of pace. Especially blending them with the finesse shooters we got. I hope he takes us up on our offer. I could see him rise easy. Especially when he leads his roster over bridges and Huntington. You gotta give him props on that. He’s sneaky athletic too. And he can shoot. I could have seen him with bo Ryan or with butler.

Let’s hope he comes. Gotta be his biggest offer depending on how you rate us versus Wisconsin or Butler.
Simpson
Rahkman
Dawkins
Robinson
Wagner

Young Watson Davis teske Poole. I like that. I could see a mass exodus of transfers. I see Doyle and chatman leaving. I wish chatman would stay. He could seize big minutes next year. I really see flashes in his game still, plus he gives us a weird element. Great passer, I can see him operating mid range and block with his back to basket. I was hoping we’d take off today and then see him get some big minutes along with Wagner and Wilson. What if we lost chatman, Doyle and Wilson? Try and steal Justin Jackson already coach, enough with the nice guy crap.

Simpson + Rahk would be one heck of a defensive backcourt and aggressive offensively (dribble pen).