2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Check out @TomSixeas’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TomSixeas/status/826604001672192001?s=09

1 Like

Triple teamed while dribbling and finds the open man for the game winner

3 Likes

Set another career best tonight on senior night. 23 boards.

32 points, 23 boards and 6 assists.

2 Likes

Geez. Monster game

The million dollar question will be if Brooks can handle PG at this level. I pray he can, his shooting at that position would open up so much.

1 Like

http://abc27.com/2017/02/08/a-basketball-life-spring-groves-eli-brooks/amp/

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I’m getting excited to see him play here.

Indeed. Actually, there are two questions for Brooks coming in: Can he play the point and can he beat out Poole?

I’m not sure there’s room for both Poole and Brooks in the rotation next season. Until proven otherwise, we have to assume Beilein won’t go deeper than 8 (and that he’ll be conservative when it comes to deploying true freshmen).

Those 8 figure to be:
–a starting 5 of X-MAAR-Matthews-Wilson-Wagner
–Robinson
–a backup big (Teske or Davis)
–a 3rd guard

If Brooks can credibly play the point, that gives him a leg up on Poole, since we’re far from knowing whether X can play Walton-level minutes at the point. But if Poole is just plain better, maybe you try to get by with MAAR as your second PG. Not sure there’s room for all four of X/MAAR/Poole/Brooks unless there’s a change in philosophy.

Incidentally, this exercise also makes you see how difficult it might be for Livers and Watson to get real minutes next season. Of the 8 rotation slots, there’s still an entrenched quartet of players in MAAR/Wilson/Wagner/Robinson, plus the need for a second big, 2 more guards and an athlete (Matthews). Don’t see where those two fit in unless they blow people away in practice and force their way onto the floor.

1 Like

Interesting point RE: Livers and all the guys we return. I just hope if any of the incoming freshmen are fated with Ibi-like minutes next year that we don’t waste an entire year and give them a redshirt. I like what I see enough in all 3 of Brooks, Poole and Livers that if it’s a given one or more of them aren’t playing more than 2 garbage time minutes per game, we better not waste a full season of eligibility

From a post I made September 2016:
"Here’s how Beilein’s rotations have played out with a cutoff of 12% of available minutes (>10% is what kenpom uses to define a rotation player but I’ll bump it up to 12%).

2008: 10
2009: 11
2010: 9
2011: 8
2012: 7
2013: 9
2014: 9
2015: 10 when healthy
2016: 10

Looking at the years with 8 or less it’s clear that Michigan didn’t have anyone else on the roster who was worthy of being in the rotation. If he has more than 8 players who deserve to play, he has proven time and time again that he will go deeper than 8…"

1 Like

is mcgary counted in 2014 and caris in 15 and 16

Brooks and Poole will both play.

McGary is counted in 2014 since when he was healthy we played 9: Arizona 72-70 Michigan (Dec 14, 2013) Box Score - ESPN

Duke: Duke 79-69 Michigan (Dec 3, 2013) Box Score - ESPN

2015 was weird with LeVert AND Walton going down. I think 10 guys played the necessary amount but looking at box scores the rotation was generally 9. Still above the “maximum” of 8 though.

2016 was 10-11 with LeVert and Spike, 10 with LeVert, 9 without either, although Beilein often played 12 guys in non-cupcake games when Spike was still healthy, they just weren’t above the 12% minutes played threshold that I set.

Anyways, my point with this is that in no way will there be a situation where guys playing two different positions who would fight between 8 and 9 in the rotation keep the other one out.

1 Like

This is skewed by injuries and non-conference games. What really counts is the conference games, which aren’t broken out by KP. You have to look through the boxscores to figure out what really happened. For the most part, Wagner, Wilson, Chatman, Caris were not factors in the 2016 conference games. The rotation was 8 in 2016. Dakich was the 9th guy at the end of the season.

2 Likes

Conference game with 9: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839257

Conference game with 9 (I’ll change this since 3 minutes isn’t enough. Still above the 8 that you claim): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839376

Conference game with 10: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839377

Am I cherry picking games? Actually I just picked the first three conference games from last year. Again, the notion that Beilein doesn’t go above an 8 man rotation is total BS.

10% of available minutes is what kenpom sets as “rotational player” status. 12.5% of available minutes is absolutely in the rotation.

Yeah, I’ve already edited that… 9 is still above the max of 8 that you claim that year.

Okay sure, let’s look at the Big Ten and NCAA tourney.
Northwestern: Michigan 72-70 Northwestern (Mar 10, 2016) Box Score - ESPN
Indiana: Michigan 72-69 Indiana (Mar 11, 2016) Box Score - ESPN
Purdue: Purdue 76-59 Michigan (Mar 12, 2016) Box Score - ESPN
Tulsa: Michigan 67-62 Tulsa (Mar 16, 2016) Box Score - ESPN
Notre Dame: Notre Dame 70-63 Michigan (Mar 18, 2016) Box Score - ESPN

Every single one of those games the rotation was 9-10 players. Again, there is no reason why Eli Brooks and Jordan Poole, who play completely different positions, can’t both be in the rotation next year.

With no science or math behind it, I personally see a rotation guy as someone who plays 10 minutes or more. 5 minutes per game is a situational player.

1 Like