2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Mo’s the only one I would feel comfortable saying should hit 40% from three for a whole season. DJ’s right on the edge but who knows where he’ll end up after a season of conference play. As Dylan noted, when he misses he misses badly.

Also I think DJ is generally the guy defenses would be most comfortable leaving open from deep this year. He benefits spacing the floor for good shooters when Zak, Duncan, Derrick are on the floor. Will that happen next year if Simpson, MAAR, Matthews are the guards? If him and Wagner become the only primary threats from deep, I expect close outs to be a little more aggressive on DJ’s catches in the corner

2 Likes

Isn’t that the recruiting profile for Wisconsin as well? Who has Wisconsin recruited in recent years who doesn’t meet both of those criteria? Where we have fallen down vis-a-vis a team like Wisconsin, which has certainly had great success with kids of vastly less than eye popping athletic ability, is in the following areas–(a) our high character kids have not, since the Burke/Stauskas/Morgan/Novak era, come with the edge needed to make plays to stop runs and at game’s end, and (b) our defense has not been good enough, in part because of defensive principles (until the hiring of Donlon), in part because we’re struggling to implement the principles changed by Donlon and in part because this group hasn’t seemed to buy in at crunch time to the notion of winning games in crunch time on the defensive end. Blame some or all of that on Beilein if you’d like–the point of this isn’t to excuse, redirect or even assign blame–but merely to say that these two criteria, if they are indeed primary foci (and Matthews, Simpson, MAAR, etc. would potentially argue that it’s not an exclusive focus), should not stop us from being an excellent college basketball team with national relevance.

One significant difference between Wisconsin and Michigan (until this year) is personnel deployment.

Wisconsin has long been willing to play 2 at-least-quasi bigs together (currently Happ and Hayes). Michigan hasn’t done this until now. Granted, few teams have two true bigs anymore, but Michigan pushed the bounds of what you can get away with defensively at the 4 in favor of having another perimeter player on offense.

From what I’ve read about him, his strength at the point guard position comes from his ability to control the tempo of the game, and get the ball to other players at the right time in the right position.

Let’s assume that’s true for a minute - let’s assume his handle isn’t the tightest as you suggest (although, the sample size there is nearly non-existent), and let’s further assume he was “high with the handle.” And then let’s look at one of your quotes: “Also, the jump shot off the dribble looked very mechanical and there was no lift on that shot.”

All of that above - you’ve just described Chauncey Billups in the NBA. High dribble, not a particularly tight handle, mechanical jump shot, no lift, but a guy who is a good shooter and controls the tempo of the game masterfully. I’d also say everything you said there would apply equally to Jordan Taylor, a guy you compared DeJulius to, but to me looks more like Brooks.

Obviously, you could end up being completely right, who knows? I’d agree Brooks doesn’t jump off the film as a “must have.” But some guys just know how to play, and are very effective without great physical attributes. Scottie Reynolds would be one example. Back in the 1990s, Lawrence Moten would be another - he wasn’t a great athlete, wasn’t a great shooter, didn’t have great size, but that guy was just a very effective scorer. Other than perhaps his shooter, I’d say the same about Seth Towns - no one’s watching his film and thinking, “wow, this guy is amazing,” like you might with a Josh Jackson, but we targeted him early and as it turns out, it seems like he can really play.

And yep, withdrawing Towns’ offer and/or “moving on” seems like it was a big mistake. A class of Towns, Tyler Cook, Teske (we wanted him from the start, so he was always going to be part of the 2016 class if he committed), and Bryce Aiken would actually look really good right now, and was seemingly very achievable.

1 Like

My amateur scouting report would be combo guard with nice crossover, outside shot, plays under control. Since this is a highlight video, tough to evaluate his passing or defense. More athletic than you might think. I saw a clip of him making a two handed jam on a breakout. One thing I noticed on the negative side is that he finished with the right hand several times on the left side of the rim. Maybe he can finish lefty, but didn’t show it.

Hope you are right on Brooks, with the addition of DeJulius just seems like a weird fit with all 3 point guards

Just curious where the inclusion of Tyler Cook is coming from, where we recruiting him or was he interested in us?

The difference between a Billups/Taylor/DeJulius type is that they could handle pressure defense based on a combination of strength and flat out dog/aggression. Both of those are severely lacking with Brooks based on the limited film I’ve seen.

I don’t think he’s capable of handling pressure defense in a half court setting. Think he’s a catch and shoot guy almost exclusively at this point. Really not much to like about his creating abilities at this point in my view.

Some of those earlier successful Beilein teams DID bear down/buy in on D at the end of games and the end of seasons; that one guy who becomes really ferocious and gets in everyone’s grill seems to be a little lacking.

1 Like

Right now the team does not have a leader for defense. The team needs someone to step up like Jordan Morgan who I thought got the most out of one of the least talents since Beilien has been here. And I am not saying that as a knock. He was willing to do the dirty work. We need one of those right now.

I have no doubt Brooks can play lead guard at Michigan. He sees the floor, is a willing passer, can shoot, can create, can handle. I’m pretty sure he’s a coaches son too. My favorite comparison at this point is a more athletic Spike (hopefully better hips too) God bless Spike

I was going to say the opposite - a poor man’s Spike. I thought Spike displayed exponentially better ball skills at the same age while playing much better comp.

The exciting thing is we can watch it unfold right before our very eyes.

2 Likes

Spike just knows how to play basketball. But for all of spikes qualities ( good shooter/clever with the ball) he could not guard anyone. Beat off the dribble constantly. Long doses of Spike was never good for Mich.

2 Likes

Spike’s ball skills were a thing of beauty, but wouldn’t you be very surprised if Brooks wasn’t more athletic? I wouldnt expect Brooks to (possibly ever) have the ball on a string the way Spike did, but he sure looks more athletic, laterally and vertically.

1 Like

Eli went for 40 tonight. Hit his last 9 shots.

The University of Michigan recruit pocketed 40 points on 14-of-25 shooting from the field, including making his final nine shots. He also pulled down 20 rebounds.

The Rockets held a tedious 39-37 lead with two minutes left in the third quarter. Brooks was having somewhat of an off night to that point as he had scored 11 points on 5-of-16 shooting.

That’s when he exploded for 29 points in the final 10 minutes of the game and didn’t miss a shot from the field.

Column: Spring Grove has 2 marquee games this week

He put a bow on the third quarter when he made a rush up the floor and eluded multiple defenders before pulling up for a deep triple at the quarter horn that pushed the Rockets’ advantage to 51-41.

“Late in the third quarter, Eli tried to make a pass and it ended up in a turnover,” Spring Grove coach James Brooks said. “At that point, he decided that he needed to take over the game.”

1 Like

He’s a gamer I like he mentality he has. Excited for this kid to come in

29 points on 9 shots is pretty remarkable. I would venture averaging over 3 points per shot is fairly difficult.

1 Like

…and yet Spike received only an Appalachian State offer, while Brooks got Villanova and Ohio State (excluding Michigan in both cases, of course). Offers aren’t everything, but particularly when Brooks has multiple (meaning one can be a fluke, but more is much less likely to be), it says something.

8 Likes

It may say that he can shoot, or it may not. As we’ve seen with Chatman, offers don’t mean anything in some instances.

That said I can see why you trust the opinion of HM head coaches. Further, I haven’t seen Eli play live, so my eval is definitely open to contrasting opinion.

Last, I hope that I turn out to be foolish on my take here, as Brooks is a really solid kid in my view. I’ll definitely be rooting for him.

2 Likes

Definitely vertically, but his lateral movement is poor IMO.