2017 - G - Nojel Eastern (Offer)

Thats the thing though… I dont think it is a forgone conclusion that he is going to be the 3rd guard. I could easily see him slotting in above X or Poole

1 Like

The Darius Morris model of PG worked out for UM… Big PG that can pass over the PNR. We’ve had three short PGs since (Trey, Derrick and X) so would be interesting to go back to the tall PG. And Nojel is being recruited as a PG.

6 Likes

I agreed. Really want to see him on our roster. This class could be great. Hope b and the new assistants reel him in.

You may be right, I just don’t know if he will view it the same way when there may be other schools with a clearer path to a starting role.

Nice! Plus a PG that can finish around the rim…could open up the floor for kick outs more too.

I’m not comparing Eastern’s game to Jalen Rose, but the way he moves on the court, his composure, vision, and willingness to pass are reminiscent of Jalen, especially his composure.
Jalen was way more wickeder at this stage of development. Playing against future NBA players everyday in HS will do that for you.

“After July is over, we’ve been talking about cutting my list down to five or six,” Eastern said. “That’s what we’re trying to do.”
He said he may make a few unofficial visits in August, then take his official visits during the school year.

Just based on height/wingspan, the thought of Eastern-Teske-DJ Wilson down the spine of a Beilein 1-3-1 zone is enticing. With a Matthews and a Simpson or Poole on the wings. Creates an interesting “change of pace” defense option?

Never been a big fan of the 1-3-1 and generally under Beilein the PG plays along the back, so Wilson and Matthews would be the wings in that scenario with Teske in the middle.

Michigan has rarely ran the 1-3-1 over the last few years and I wouldn’t expect any extra emphasis on the 1-3-1 with Donlon’s addition.

That’s certainly possible. I think they would have to sell him on not just being a point guard, but also having some opportunities on the wing. And that seems very likely. But sure, a starting PG role somewhere else may be more to his liking.

And that’s why I’ve argued all along that with guys like Brunson and Thornton (once he reclassified to 2015), they were not going to come here to sit on the bench behind Derrick Walton for two years. Once it became evident Walton was not an early entry candidate, but was still good enough that he would be really difficult to unseat for a starting role, that made recruiting point guards very hard. It’s an easier sell to Simpson (and Winston), both of whom would have only sat for one year behind Walton.

One thing to think about with fall decisions this year… Michigan’s starting PG and starting wing scorer are graduating this year.

Ibi, Xavier, etc. are probably going to play important roles this year, Charles Matthews will be added to the mix, but 2017 kids will sign before they see what those roles are.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the coaches be telling recruits their expectations for the current roster?

Sure but it is a lot easier to say “you can come in and compete for X spot” when the person who currently fills that role is graduating.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hello Darius Morris 2.0

2 Likes

I would love to have Nojel on board.

Nojel feature

Complete speculation here, but the kid’s mom seems like the type who would really appreciate JB as a coach and as a recruiter

Talks about both Eastern and Johns. Also claims that the 2016-2017 roster is set in stone. I think most of us hope that isn’t the case, and that there is at least still the possibility of adding a grad transfer.

Does Blevins have any insider knowledge that the roster is set? Doesn’t mean we will add anybody, but I won’t take that early statement in the piece too seriously.