2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

His bad shots are usually him in isolation, trying to break someone down off the dribble, or him dribbling around the three point line trying to create space for a shot. Those are the shots I take issue with.

I hear you on Walton. But I will say if we ran more, Walton would be a lot better offensively. Or if we could find someone to get Walton open looks as a shooter.

How would it be unethical to not give DR a 5th year after going out on a limb for the D3 transfer, visibility on a big stage to parlay into a contract in Europe and providing a top notch education?

And how is the wing a strength when none of them can dribble which is compounded by unproven PGs?

1 Like

Problem has nothing to do with offense. We are simply pathetic defensively, and even that term is conservative.

In order to improve this team/program performance the root of the issue has to be fixed, and that is athleticism, accountability, dedication to practicing defense consistently.

Translation - heā€™s a catch and shoot player trying to do more than heā€™s capable of.

Other coaches. Beilein keeps his word and is very transparent about the scholarship policy. Players have to earn the 5th year but the 4th is a lock. There is a difference between transferring because you canā€™t earn the playing time you want and giving the boot to a guy who already transferred in and sat out a year, is a decent role player, just so you can bring in fresh blood. DR has a 4 year scholarshipā€¦period. Itā€™s pointless to debate his roster spot. I donā€™t think youā€™d have the nerve to pull his scholarship if you were running the program. There would be hell to pay in terms of perception.

Offense might take a hit next year, but Iā€™d sure hope our Defensive numbers would improve with X, Mathews and Bamba being added into the fold, hypothetically

I wouldnā€™t have issued it in the first place and I damn sure wouldnā€™t have an issue pulling it if it meant improving the team, which is the job of a head coach.

Walton might be the worst pg in transition in the big ten and most people would probably agree with that. I have no idea what his deal is but he ALWAYS passes late or makes the wrong pass, almost every single time. Itā€™s rather frustrating to watch. Our PF(Wilson) is our best fast break finisher and That probably shouldnā€™t be the case. Also, who else is going to get the ball and go get a shot? MAAR has become terrible and Walton has never been able to do anything besides get himself a three. This roster doesnā€™t really have other options as our depth chart is full of centers and/or freshman.

You essentially admit my point - Irvin is the least of evils, but still a horrible choice for that role

If thereā€™s a guy out there who we know will come in and impact this team right away, the sure say bye to Duncan. I havenā€™t heard a name of a player that will do that though.

Talk about a low ceiling.

I do not think heā€™s horrible for the role as he does a pretty good job. How many times has a player in the big ten had 21 points and 7 assists this year? total number of times it has happened?

Trade off costs my friend. Is one year of Duncan Robinson really going to help this team? Hell no, and you know that. 4years of Greg or any other 2 way prospect that has creating ability will far exceed whatever small value Robinson has.

Duncan has had an empirical impact on wins and losses? Youā€™re talking as if he is Trey, Caris or even Irvin lol.

He does a good job at being a primary option/ball handler?

JM I think Iā€™m done for the night my guy, itā€™s pointless for me to even debate at this point.

Take it easy man.

Duncan had a pretty big impact last season and next year could be even bigger. We will be fairly young next year and if Livers comes in and isnā€™t ready, who is playing backup PF minutes?

You forget that every player has an opportunity cost. If you take Greg, you give up an opportunity for an '18 kid. DR vs Greg is too narrow of a scope.

You reference last year as the inspiration to keeping DR? Iā€™d go CM at the 4 before Iā€™d want DR there tbh.

Fair option. Matthews will be playing 30-35 minutes at sf next year and unless we go super small, he wonā€™t be playing the 4. Duncan also has 2 inches and probably 10-15 lbs on Matthews.