2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

Guys, if 2 of you have 6 or 7 posts in a row then maybe it’s time for a conversation in PM.

Elliott’s shooting stats from Krossover, still a bit of a small sample from this year so I wouldn’t really worry about the %, but the point is that he’s a guy who takes 2x or 3x more 2s than 3s at the HS level which just speaks to what kind of game he has at this point.

His FT% numbers are through the roof though, so that’s a plus.

Just said you weren’t too big on Poole, but I get what you’re saying. Truth is that having seen Poole and Livers both play live extensively, neither of them are likely to be instant impact players in a way that will help the team improve a good deal. That said, keeping Duncan Robinson isn’t going to help either, but the difference is he hinders the future.

Good point. I’m sure it won’t be terrible but our lineup next year is set IMO.
Pg- Simpson
Sg - MAAR
Sf - Matthews
Pf- Wilson
C - Wagner

Well that’s because you’ve never seen Brooks play good competition, because he never has.

lol I thought that comment was coming. It’s a good one, but we haven’t seen him struggle so maybe he won’t?

Here are some highlights I put together of Greg in EYBL this past summer. For those with questions about comp level, I guess we can put the court vision argument to rest because its on full display vs. the best HS competition in the world.

I would too. But I would also not discount the ability of DR with another year behind him playing precisely the role Beilein desired on a slightly better squad–getting his 9-18, night in night out.

I’m confused about all the talk of shooting %.

When was that what we needed most? We need on-ball defense. Intensity. Competitive edge. Someone that will attack the hoop. Transition points. Athleticism.

Shooting % is the LAST thing on my mind for this team’s needs right now.

3 Likes

Just FYI, Krossover doesn’t have film on all of EEVP’s games.

I know you’re employed with that entity, but as someone that has access to that site for my daughter’s games, it’s not comprehensive for all games and it’s not 100% accurate.

Not trying to say they are perfect, no stats are. But that’s from 7 games this year and as I said the main thing I was pointing out is that he shoots far more 2s than 3s. He’s a slasher not a shooter right now, I think that’s pretty well established.

Zak’s definitely not just catch and shoot. Most of his points in the last game were on drives and off the dribble. He also had a bunch of assists kicking out to shooters.

Honestly, you say he shoots far more 2s in relation to 3s as if that’s a bad thing?

If anything, that’s a plus in my book.

I know all all the things he can do, not everyone watches our games I guess.

2 Likes

Read what I wrote originally. Said in the pros that he’s a great slasher and attacks well in transition. Cons are that he’s 6-3 and not a big perimeter shooter (often times it’s easier to identify that by volume as in guys that shoot a lot of threes are usually shooters, guys that don’t shoot many probably aren’t as confident in their three-point stroke).

If 2/3+ of a guys shot attempts are twos, it just says something about the way he plays.

Not everything has to be an attack on your guy, just pointing out the basics earlier in this thread after starting it fresh (and before the whole back-and-forth arguing started). And as I said, I can see the arguments on both sides of this one.

Which are quite bluntly:

• Michigan needs to get more athletic and needs improvements on defense, Elliott would check those boxes.
  • How many 6-3 guards have succeeded at Michigan that can’t shoot

Correct, he’s not…on this team because our roster isn’t very good and so he’s forced to do things he isnt capable of doing efficiently against legit teams.

Big difference between attempting to be a triple threat wing, and actually being a triple threat wing.

Me too, get rejected every time he attempts a soft layup, make decisions as a fourth year senior that leave John Beilein screaming at timeouts, and shoot less than 18% from distance during conference play. But hey, he hits Wagner on the pick and roll on occasion, so I can see your point.

And I might add that you said you can’t wait until he leaves.

21 points and 7 assists without hitting a three suggests that he’s changed his game and is not just a spot up shooter. Most of his assists were kick outs on penetration and pick and pop. What difference does it make why he’s doing these things? Generated over 40 points for his team. That’s pretty efficient.

1 Like

I understand your point, but my counter to that is that its not so much that he’s changed his game, but rather the lesser of two evils between Walton and Irvin. Neither is equipped to generate offense off the dribble, but Irvin can at least hit a midrange shot whereas Walton can’t buy a 2 point basket.

We do need an upgrade, but to say he’s a catch an shoot guy isn’t true. His game has evolved a ton since he arrived.

In his optimal role is he a primary option or creator off the dribble?