2017 - F - Kyle Young (Offer)

You don’t need great shooters to have a great offense. North Carolina had the best offense in the country and shot 32% behind the arc. Michigan had a couple very good outside shooters and couldn’t scrape the top 30. Obviously there are schemes and skill sets of players that can be utilized to have a successful offense without real good shooters.

And there were numerous articles throughout the season about how UNC was an anomaly in today’s game. If you have a dominant big man, are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country, are one of the best fast break teams, and are also one of the better defensive teams in the country, then you might be able to get away with being a poor outside shooting team.

Michigan is a ways away from having any of those 4 qualities, so it makes sense to have some good shooters on the floor.

I don’t think UNC’s recipe is very easily mimicked. UNC had a pretty unique blend of talent that allowed it to succeed like that. Given today’s game and Michigan’s offense, floor spacing is always going to be critical.

North Carolina had two guys, Paige and Barry, who were good to real good 3 point shooters, and took and made a lot of them. The 32.7 overall % came primarily from two sources–(a) their deep reserves (guys who played under 150 minutes total for the year) were an unbelievable 1-30 from 3 in garbage time (which made UNC a more respectable 34% team from 3 when there was anything on the line); and (b) Justin Jackson, who has never shot even 31% from 3 since he has been at UNC, felt compelled to take 120 3s, making 35, for a 29.2% clip. Add to that the points made by Alum05 and Dylan about UNC’s rather unique roster composition and it seems evident to me that using UNC as proof that teams don’t need shooter to have a great offense seems misplaced.

This is sort of like saying you can win the B1G when you’re a bad defensive team, as Michigan did in '14. That’s surely true if you have one of the best offenses of the last fifteen years. And you surely can have a great offense without great shooters in some circumstances. On the whole, though, best to avoid having bad defenses, and on the whole, offenses, especially in modern basketball, work much better with good shooters and spacing.

He’s “sneaky” athletic imo.not saying you were saying he wasn’t.

Also I’d like Jackson or livers as well with this roster. I have to watch Lawrence again. Can’t remember. I think I’m confusing him and Samuels possibly.

The team that beat Michigan in the national title game only had one good shooter in Hancock and yes he went off in one half but that team in general didn’t shoot it well. Every team is built in a different fashion I guess the question becomes if a guy like Young if he plays the 4 can he guard other 4’s? He has good video but I don’t know if I want to see him guard other 4’s. I have seen Irvin try to do that for the past few years and it hasn’t panned out well. I don’t know if Robinson can play the 4 and guard 4’s maybe we will know more this year. Personally I am ready to move into another direction and with guys like Teske/Davis/Wagner on scholarship this year it might be time to start moving that way. If Young can play the 3 I am all for it if you want him to play the 4 and guard 4’s look in another direction.

I’m not really sure how Irvin’s inability to defend the four relates to Young? Young is pretty much a prototypical four man.

4 Likes

I hope that we get Young, but I will be surprised if he doesn’t end up at OSU.
If so, I wish he would decide quickly so that we could prioritize someone else.

My only question about his offensive game is whether he can use his left hand. Seems like most of his post moves still involved adjusting to his right hand. Otherwise, I love his game.

Can’t speak to his defense, but I don’t assume many similarities between he and Irvin. Zak is a 3, Kyle is a 4 (defensively).

UNC also has like six 5 star forwards on their roster to help them rebound a ridiculous 41% of their misses. When Michigan is able to start recruiting hyper athletic top 25 6’10" centers and power forwards to do that and defend well then let me know. Otherwise I’d say shooting is still vital to the 99% of teams who can’t do that.

1 Like

Am I missing something or is Young 6’6 or 6’7 205? Irvin is the same height. Are we going to try and play an undersized guy defending opposing 4’s again?

Listed at 6-8, 210 on the King James roster on D1Circuit. He also rebounds, plays inside and in the post. At this age Zak Irvin played only on the perimeter.

1 Like

That’s a bit better and I might be more inclined to get him after looking at all these guys he would still be 5th or 6th on my wish list this is not taking position/need into consideration.

How does UM pry Young away from Ohio State and Matta?

1 Like

Yup exactly my thoughts. This kid is a perfect fit for the position, something JB has never had at Michigan, as amazing as that is.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few people mention they don’t see it with young, personally he’s the perfect 4 for this roster in 2017. He looked solid again his last video. He can score on every level. Can finish, good body control, nice shot. Solid rebounder, decent defender in high school high lights too. I really hope we can land him.

1 Like

How would you rate his athleticism for a four?

Not elite but still decent. There’s better players but he’s a good fit for what we may be missing I think as others have stated. I just think he’s really solid all around. He just looks like the type of kid who is a nice intelligent team player that helps you win.

Just watched Young play for the first time at Peach Jam, through the live feed and he looked lost. He was playing the 5 a lot and couldn’t do anything with the ball when Pulley’s big (Davison’s team) covered him on the perimeter. I was hoping for a little more from him off the dribble especially with a “big” covering him.

King James’ guards were all over the place on offense and seemed to prefer taking off balance 3’s than feeding Young the ball. I"m hoping to watch him again in the next couple of days.