2017 - F - Kyle Young (Offer)

I hope that we get Young, but I will be surprised if he doesn’t end up at OSU.
If so, I wish he would decide quickly so that we could prioritize someone else.

My only question about his offensive game is whether he can use his left hand. Seems like most of his post moves still involved adjusting to his right hand. Otherwise, I love his game.

Can’t speak to his defense, but I don’t assume many similarities between he and Irvin. Zak is a 3, Kyle is a 4 (defensively).

UNC also has like six 5 star forwards on their roster to help them rebound a ridiculous 41% of their misses. When Michigan is able to start recruiting hyper athletic top 25 6’10" centers and power forwards to do that and defend well then let me know. Otherwise I’d say shooting is still vital to the 99% of teams who can’t do that.

1 Like

Am I missing something or is Young 6’6 or 6’7 205? Irvin is the same height. Are we going to try and play an undersized guy defending opposing 4’s again?

Listed at 6-8, 210 on the King James roster on D1Circuit. He also rebounds, plays inside and in the post. At this age Zak Irvin played only on the perimeter.

1 Like

That’s a bit better and I might be more inclined to get him after looking at all these guys he would still be 5th or 6th on my wish list this is not taking position/need into consideration.

How does UM pry Young away from Ohio State and Matta?

1 Like

Yup exactly my thoughts. This kid is a perfect fit for the position, something JB has never had at Michigan, as amazing as that is.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few people mention they don’t see it with young, personally he’s the perfect 4 for this roster in 2017. He looked solid again his last video. He can score on every level. Can finish, good body control, nice shot. Solid rebounder, decent defender in high school high lights too. I really hope we can land him.

1 Like

How would you rate his athleticism for a four?

Not elite but still decent. There’s better players but he’s a good fit for what we may be missing I think as others have stated. I just think he’s really solid all around. He just looks like the type of kid who is a nice intelligent team player that helps you win.

Just watched Young play for the first time at Peach Jam, through the live feed and he looked lost. He was playing the 5 a lot and couldn’t do anything with the ball when Pulley’s big (Davison’s team) covered him on the perimeter. I was hoping for a little more from him off the dribble especially with a “big” covering him.

King James’ guards were all over the place on offense and seemed to prefer taking off balance 3’s than feeding Young the ball. I"m hoping to watch him again in the next couple of days.

From last night:

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/201607/nike-peach-jam-day-two-deandre-ayton-makes-his-claim

Is Kyle Young a sexy ballplayer? I think not. He doesn’t wow you with supreme athleticism or have the razzle dazzle handles that will break someone’s ankles, yet what he does have is uber levels of toughness and a giant nose for the ball, all of which equates to major production on the hardwood. More of a face-up 4-man, Young is an excellent rebounder of the ball where he grasps balls from in and out of his area and within traffic with both hands. On Thursday evening, the Buckeye State native had all it all clicking as he hit on four 3-point jumpers, finished at the basket and through contact, and was the catalyst for his bunch’s blowout victory. A total of 24 points and eight boards doesn’t justify just how good the King James star was as he was followed heavily by head coaches from Purdue, Butler, Clemson, Michigan State, and Michigan.

2 Likes

“All of them talk to me a lot,” Young told Meyer. “It’s pretty much just those 10. I will probably cut it down to five soon and set up my official visits after July. I will take those visits and probably make my decision before the season starts.”

Young would be able to sign with his college of choice during the early signing period in November.

“I have visited all of the schools on my list unofficially except for Florida, N.C. State and Wisconsin,” Young said. “I still have to figure out the five official visits I want to take. Those will be the five I cut it down to. I want to use all five visits.”

1 Like

Kyle Youngs Top 5

2 Likes

i have to imagine that butler and OSU are the real competition to land him

1 Like

FWIW, these are the schools that were cut from his top 10: Florida, Michigan State, North Carolina State, West Virginia and Wisconsin

1 Like

Been a lot of discussion about combo forward targets and I’ve always been a fan of Young’s fit. Like that he can step out and shoot while still bringing some physical ability around the hoop. Would expect he’d start taking his officials fairly quickly and things will move along.

1 Like