2017 - F - Kris Wilkes (Offer)

Illinois is considered “dirty” because of an association with the Deon Thomas recruitment from 25 years ago? Different staff and era.

Glad we’re not lumped into the same narrative from recruiting in that same time period.

Reality is when it comes to 5*s you have to be personable and get after it with a continued showering of love and attention. Excess is best.

Look at the innovative approach and constant attempt of Harbaugh to woo kids.

Those five coaches on Wilke’s list ( Crean, Mack, Alford, Ollie and Groce ) are go getters on the recruiting trail 13 months a year. They’re about constant contact and continued relationship building. They pursue you relentlessly and continuously.

JB’s style is different when it comes to going after kids with both barrels. It is what it is and more often than not it doesn’t resonate with the 5*s even after his pursuit of numerous of them. Time to reevaluate the approach going forward?

2 Likes

I think the approach has already been re-evaluated by sticking in the top 50-150 wheelhouse and securing players from that group. Going for the big cats and missing is what led to this period of mediocrity. They can win consistently if they focus on the group just below the five stars.

It wouldn’t matter if JB changed his approach as to the amount that he contacts kids. He doesn’t have that used car salesman personality so he’s never going to come across the way that some of those guys do. Not every recruit likes that style anyways. He needs to do what he’s comfortable with and I think that resonates with a lot of kids that are 50-150

2 Likes

I’m just not of the belief that all the schools on Wilke’s or any other 5* list are obligatorily “dirty”.

I’d be surprised if Warde Manuel thought Ollie was running a dirty program during his tenure there. More surprised if he knowingly accepted it. Always thought both were very credible individuals. Calhoun? A different story.

I can’t see a scenario where JB stops recruiting 5*s in the future though. He’s went after a ton of them in the last 3-4 years. He knows the value of having elite talent as well as anyone else. It’s like what Jalen said.

Frustrating that schools like the Illini and Xavier are viable options for this kid instead of us.

Wake up in the morning and people are comparing Beilein’s recruiting to John Groce’s in a negative light. I’d love to see how they reacted to that on an Illinois message board.

7 Likes

Tilmon, Williams, and Pickett are already committed to Groce. Add in making Wilke’s top 5, and he has substantially raised his profile recently.

And yet with all that “success” by Groce & “failure” by Beilein this recruiting cycle, 247 composite has Michigan with a higher ranked class thus far…

Not a fan of Groce, but frustrating that he has snagged one 5* already and is in play for another in Wilkes.

Can’t imagine a recruit thinking you bb future is in better hands with Groce then Beilein. Bizarre.

He’s always been a pretty good recruiter. Illinois has raked in plenty of four stars during his tenure. I guess potentially having two 5* could be raising his profile, but it’s not like Tilmon is a top 10 recruit. He’s fringe 5* in most services IIRC.

Groce was on the staff at OSU when Matta first got there. Helping recruit a few great classes. Nothing new that he’s a good recruiter.

Yeah they definitely are. I have heard plenty of stories from a buddy of mine (who just graduated from Xavier) of players getting paid and loose disciplinary actions/coverups.

I think JB will continue to recruit 5*'s. The issue is are the 5* stars interested and if so will they visit before getting an offer. JB has been consistent in his approach and I can see value in it in one respect as if the 5* has a real interest in Mich. he will visit and if not then JB won’t waste time. If the 5* is serious he will visit.

Regardless of JB’s style, which will work with some and not with all, pick a strategy and stick to it. Go after 5*s however seems best, and plan to lose on 8-9 out of 10, but stick with it. Doesn’t need to be overthought at this point.

If Cain wants the spot in Sept, that would be great, and either way keep pushing Bowen. Rinse/repeat in 2018 and stay the course. Focus on 50-150 type players (ideally 50-100), spend X percentage of time fighting hard for 5* and don’t deviate. Only scenario I would call a failure is if they start flip flopping.

I Agree with this strategy.

It’s nice Michigan knows they aren’t in it for him and they have time. By the same token they need to start closing on these type of guys though.

1 Like

I have no idea one way or another about Illinois. But the willingness to cheat is cultural, like Alabama football and Kentucky basketball. It spans decades and several coaching staffs.

Michigan is a prestigious academic institution that was stunned by what had transpired and took large steps to change its culture. Its response is not the norm.

It’s funny how you pretend to know the individual recruiting styles of every coach recruiting Wilkes. I’m unaware of a single five star recruit ever signed by either Groce or Mack, and in the case of Groce, I’d be wondering if he’s employed come next April. If recruits are serious about skill development and academics, then unless Duke is recruiting you, Michigan should easily make anyone’s top 5 list, especially Wilkes’ list considering the other schools on it.

1 Like

Our last McDonalds All American was Daniel Horton. There’s a reason for that.

Right - Kevin Ollie (who played under Calhoun) came in and changed the UConn culture.

And Warde Manuel - new AD - was going to be the guy to ruin the school’s only good men’s sport.

I think it’s far more likely Ollie has continued whatever Calhoun put in place.

Michigan wouldn’t have made it to the title game in 2013 if it wasn’t for getting McGary late a low 5 star and top 20-30 kid. Hey maybe this year or the next they will make the title game but there is still a reason Michigan is leaving a slot open for a guy like Wilkes or Bowen.

Good grief guys, we’re really going down this whole pointless cheating argument? Michigan not making Kris Wilkes doesn’t mean that his recruitment is dirty.

Sounds like staying close to home is one of the top priorities is staying close to home, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up at UCLA. I’d put my money on Indiana right now.

3 Likes

I would agree I don’t know if I would favor one school or another I think they could both be close. UCLA is recruiting at a different level with guys like Holiday/Ball/Leaf/Anigbogu/Hands/Hill over the past few years. Hometown pull can definitely appeal with Wilkes and IU has been playing good ball recently.

Yea, the reason is we haven’t been able to pull in the top 25 kids. Plenty of those kids get recruited without cheating.