2017 - F - Kris Wilkes (Offer)

Xavier, Indiana, UCLA, Illinois, UCONN

That’s disappointing.

Jeez, that sucks.

Bowen or bust, now.

You don’t think Cain is a possibility at all especially if they get a vibe in Sept that Bowen is not that serious about Michigan?

What’s the consensus of how many of Wilke’s final five schools are considered “dirty”?

I would take Cain right now if he wanted to commit. Track Bowen through the Spring because of possible attrition. Take bird in hand.

1 Like

Please take Cain if we can get him

I am good with that. It’s a risk but I like the rewards.

The only one that I think is overtly dirty is Xavier, but they’re also limited in resources.

If we were this poorly positioned with Wilkes, I’m gonna say that turning down Smith was a horrible idea.

We already offered him, do we really have a choice?

I would take Smith or Cain and not think twice. You can still recruit Bowen and figure it out if the miracle happens and he doesn’t get the UK offer he wants or spurns MSU.

1 Like

We may have offered but who knows if the offer is committable at this point.

I’m surprised on this one for sure, wow

MattD made a post on MGoBlog yesterday that seems to suggest Cain is still an option:

"As of right now there is a commit freeze for the class of 2017 - JB will check in on Cain, Bowen, Wilkes, Jackson starting September 9th (and Cain in particular, on that very day) to see where their heads are at, most likely give them a few weeks, and give them a call/visit toward the end of September/early October to essentially say ‘are you on board, or do we need to move on?’

At this point, I don’t think Bowen is working with that time frame, and is looking for a UK offer. Wilkes is releasing a top 5 this weekend, so we’ll know if we’re in it for him soon enough.

Another poster asked me if ‘we were putting all of our eggs in the Cain basket’ - to that I say not intentionally, but I told him at the time that I was inclined to think Smith was viewed as 4, which is likely true considering the staff canceled his visit that was slated for Sunday.

Reading between the lines, it looks like Cain and Wilkes are the viable options at this point, as Bowen isn’t deciding in late September, and I’m not inclined to think Jaren Jackson is either… Isaiah Livers took Kyle Young’s spot, so he’s no longer an option."

3 Likes

I think they’re OK with banking the scholarship. Big classes usually don’t work out.

This is my thought. I really thought Wilkes was the guy they were eyeing. Any sleepers besides Cain? What about Gaines? Any late possibilities to spring up you guys think?

I’d add UCLA and UCONN to that list. And Illinois is the school where Deon Thomas wound up.

That’s interesting. First time I have heard that about Xavier.