2017 - F - Kris Wilkes (Offer)

It’s a tough situation to be in for us. The talent level difference is so big between Wilkes and young/Cain that we may have to settle for young or Cain. Wilkes makes this team a top 10 team vs maybe a top 25 with young/Cain.

I like Wilkes, but your comparison of where we’d be with him and with Young/Cain instead (especially Young, who I really like, and who fits really well with this roster) is a bridge too far for me. That difference is about a 3-4 game swing, and I don’t see it. Actually, if you gave me one choice from among guys we’re recruiting in the '17 class, Wilkes wouldn’t be it–I’d have both Bowen and Jaren Jackson ahead of him. Wilkes might turn out to be a better player, but with the makeup of this team going forward, I think our ideal player is someone with more perimeter shooting ability than Wilkes has. Don’t get me wrong–I’d be thrilled to get him–but I respectfully disagree with your evaluation of the difference he would make.

I’ve seen Wilkes and Bowen in person. Wilkes can do a whole lot more on a basketball court compared to Bowen.

I was afraid you would say that. Not that I wouldnt be very happy with Young and Cain, but Wilkes seems like (as johnmiller said) Wilkes would be a huge talent upgrade. I would also like JB to prove that he can land the top 25 guys, occasionally - we all saw what he could do with 5 star talent.

Are you similarly wary of our chances with Jackson and Bowen? I know Bowen is (supposedly) a huge sparty lean, but haven’t heard as much decisive murmurs on Jackson. Of all the players on our board, I think Jackson would help the team the most, even more than Wilkes; he could be similar to what TJ Leaf could have been, IMO.

Well, another thing to consider is whether a freshman Wilkes would help us more than 2-3 years (at least) of Cain and Young, because Wilkes is quite possibly a one-and-done talent.

From the film I’ve seen, Wilkes is great at driving to the basket, and athletic, but doesn’t shoot particularly well - almost a better version (though perhaps not by much) of Charles Mathews.

I think Jackson is probably a longshot (Maryland/Georgetown), and Bowen seems to be waiting on a Kentucky offer.

I would say prioritize Cain, Young, Eastern, and Livers, in that order (unless Jackson turns out to be a real possibility), and then by spring, when we can potentially add someone, we’ll have a shot at Wilkes.

The length for which the player will stay with us is a good point. I cant say how confident I am that Wilkes would leave after one year, but I would take two years of Wilkes–over basically any option other than 2 years of Jackson–in a heart beat.

Unfortunately, your takes on Jackson and Bowen are the same that I have heard. I guess I am just hoping, at this point.

For the sake of argument, I would prioritize those same players in the order of: Young, Cain, Eastern, Livers–with Cain and Eastern being a wash, for me. I love Cain’s shooting, but I would also like to see Eastern bringing the ball up the court.

Not exactly a huge confidence builder here

https://twitter.com/nezzy21/status/753705354177970182

Here is Jerry Meyers response to a question to see if his crystal ball choice of Michigan being an accident or not.

1 Like

Well this would be huge. Let’s start praying he knows something.

From what I usually pick up, if a national reporter puts in a crystal ball before the local guys it’s often a hunch without as much inside info as sometimes. Obviously that’s not always the case, perhaps not even a majority, but it’d be nice to see some of the Michigan guys back him up there.

Sounds like he had to pick somebody other than Indiana and opted for the next best guess. Maybe he knows more about the Indiana side than anything else.

Jerry Meyer just put a Crystal Ball in for Michigan for Kris Wilkes… Any recent development that may have caused that?

(read above)

3 crystal ball predictions for Wilkes to Mich, over the last 5 days. Obviously far from compelling, but I’ll take the momentum, anyway. Also sad to see that Maryland is getting the recent predictions for Jackson

3 Likes

Those other guys are probably just following Meyer. I wouldn’t take it as further momentum.

It is interesting that the 2 new crystal balls are from 2 Kentucky guys on different sites.

I am very conflicted about this.

1 Like

It’s not that complicated. You are either with us or against us.

1 Like

Wow, you took that a lot more serious than I would have expected. This isn’t war. It’s possible to have dual fandom for a variety of reasons.

1 Like