2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer)

Yeah, let’s just get back to Cain. I think your take on Eastern is really extreme. Especially since Brooks is really a 2 guard that passes occasionally, but is only 5’11

And you’re probably the only person around that believes that. But I respect your opinion nevertheless.

That’s fair. The fact eastern can’t shoot and averaged more turnovers than assists, was a clear indicator he may not have a position in college that he can be a plus player at. We can disagree, no harm. I think Cain goes to a school that he can play right away. Marquette does make sense for him imo.

If Jamal ends up at UM then we’re talking about a class with 3 guys that are upgrades over their predecessor at the position in terms of raw talent and skill. Think it would end up a top 15ish type class and the best haul since 2012. I love the sound of that

This probably belongs on Bamba’s thread, but since he and Cain (kind of) exclude each other, based on scholarship availability, any word on Bamba? Not getting my hopes up, by any means, there just hasn’t been much news and you’re in the know.

Haven’t heard a peep

1 Like

What do you think the class would end up overall if we landed someone in the talent tier above Cain? I understand this may be highly unlikely but the staff seems to have made it a priority to chase the stars with the final spot

If we got bamba, it’s a top 5 class.

If we can land Bamba, Jackson, or Bowen you’re talking top 5-7 (Bamba) or 10ish (Jackson, Bowen).

Can’t speak on Bamba, but Jackson and Bowen are HIGHLY unlikely at this point

I’ll say this and you can read between the lines. I’ve done work with Jordan Poole. Jordan Poole is roommates with Jaren Jackson and teammates with Brian Bowen at LaLu. Please don’t listen to Wolverine3/Stevie Boy and get your hopes up at this point. It’s setting yourself up for failure

1 Like

Based on the 247 composite, adding Bamba to this class would mean it would be ranked between 10-12 at the end of the year (assuming no ranking changes).

If that’s the case, Matt, then why is Eastern’s offer list essentially the equivalent of that of Brooks? MSU (which is slow playing Eastern), OSU, Michigan, Xavier, Purdue compared to Villanova, OSU, Michigan, NC State, Kansas State is pretty similar in quality. If you’re asking who the better player is in a vacuum, i.e., without regard to system fit, personality fit, blend with other players on the roster, etc., then based on my viewing of Eastern live and on film, and my viewing of very, very limited Brooks film, I’d agree that it’s Eastern, but while that may be how people do rankings, it isn’t how coaches recruit. And here’s the thing–as you well know, high major coaches rarely rush to give July offers to kids who don’t play on any of the major shoe circuits, don’t play in large, well known high school programs, and were unknown until spring/summer AAU ball. They did here with Brooks. I don’t know enough to know if they were right–I just haven’t seen enough recent film on Brooks, nor do I have real evaluations from any respectable recruiting services which have seen him live to make an informed guess. However, given that coaches whose’ player evaluations I respect. from Wright to Beilein to Matta thought he was/is good enough to rush out offers, I’m not going to rush to any judgment about whether he’s better or worse for Michigan than Eastern would have been assuming we would have gotten Eastern, (something which, based on reasonable information (I actually went to Nojel’s high school many years ago, and have family with contacts still living there) I think was possible, but not as likely as you seem to think).

1 Like

You are VERY mistaken with respect to MSU slow playing Eastern, if anything its the other way around. They are pushing for a commitment HARD, and the Eastern camp isn’t budging, period.

Much like rankings, I don’t think offers alone are a very good indicator of talent. I prefer live evaluation and film assessment. I haven’t seen Brooks play live, but based on his highlights, he just isn’t very impressive in my opinion. Not bad, perhaps good enough for a third guard on offense, but certainly not a Nojel Eastern level talent in any way. I admit I may be biased having seen Nojel play live several times, but there is pretty big gap in my opinion, in basically every facet of the game other than shooting.

Not as likely as a I think…that’s funny. It will come out in due course. There are very few people that have any clue as to Nojel Eastern’s recruitment, and that is by his mother’s design. To be more specific, Nojel Eastern’s high school coach has no idea what is going on with that recruitment.

I’m sorry you think that any information which contrasts to yours is “funny.” What I posted is information, not mere speculation, and it includes, in part, specific information which comes from his mother, as well as from those with very good MSU sources. You are, of course, free to disagree. I do find it somewhat ironic though that you have been preaching here for awhile how giving late offers is killing us in recruiting, and yet on Eastern, you think that the school he listed as his “dream school” (MSU), one which offered him a year earlier than we did and has his buddy in tow as a DT on the football team, would lose him to us despite pushing hard for a commitment. Must be the old Beilein charisma. :slight_smile:

One other note–whether you think that offers are a good indicator of talent, it was you, above, who said that no college coach would take Brooks over Eastern. Obviously, there were several who offered Brooks but not Eastern, and several who also offered Brooks with Eastern still on their recruiting boards, so that seems inaccurate. And again, those offers came out of the blue for somebody playing in the shadows. Me, I’d like to see highlights and/or game film from July, which convinced guys like Wright, Matta and Beilein to offer, before making even a preliminary judgment.

2 Likes

Information that is made public, is very much different from information that is private, and more realistic. That’s about all I can say about it.

Also, I’ve never said that late offers are a per se bad thing, you are either mistaken or simply incorrect. I do think that late offers to guys that are clearly not impact players are probably not a good idea though.

If you utilize offers as a primary indicator of talent, I can respect that, I just don’t agree. I trust my own eyes more than any coach or ranking service.

Can this thread be split so that the people who want to discuss Jamal Cain can do so and the people who want to argue the merits of their inside sources can do that?

5 Likes

Also MHoops - I’d like to apologize to you about the “funny” comment. Didn’t quite come out the way I intended it. You are what I consider to be reasonable, and by funny I’m basically trying to convey that Eastern was very, very realistic. Trust me

Wolverheel - I understand your stance here, but c’mon man, you are very much a know it all at times as well. I get it that you don’t care for my posting (and the feeling is mutual), but don’t throw stones while living in a glass house.

Yes, and after being messaged by Dylan a month ago I found it very easy to simply stop devolving every thread into an argument with no winner. I guess some find that more difficult than others.

So again, Jamal Cain anyone?

2 Likes

There is nothing new on Jamal Cain other than he is now a 4 star at ESPN, and the rankings guys can now consider him ‘worthy’

Thank you for the information.

1 Like