2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer)

1 Like

I know a lot of you guys have been asking for updates on Jamal, with a small few suggesting heā€™s blowing his chance with UM. Just want to let you guys know that Jamalā€™s dad passed away today after being on life support for a decent amount of time.

Obviously, recruiting has taken a back seat for Jamal and probably will for the next few weeks.

Prayers for Jamal and his family, obviously he has more pressing issues to deal with.

Wow, that is truly awful. Iā€™m really sorry to hear that.

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Thank you for the update, Matt. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Thanks for the update, @MattD.

Sad news ā€“ prayers, strength and peace to Jamal and his family.

Absolutely tragic to lose a parent at any age, but at this stage in his life itā€™s gotta be 10x worse. Prayers for him and his family.

Thanks for sharing. Puts life in perspective as we rant and rave about this or that recruit only to realize these kids have real lives outside of basketball to deal with. I will be praying for the Cain family.

2 Likes

Definetly sucks.

Condolences to Jamal and his family.

This is very sad and nothing can prepare for such a loss.

Condolences to Jamal and his family, very tough.

In relation to his recruitment, Xavier added commits from Naji Marshall and Elias Harden this week to go along with Jared Ridder. Basically three wings in the class now. Cain had obviously been high on X, but space is getting thin.

Jeff Borzello also said this

Xavier still pushing for six-man class. Musketeers in mix for Paul Scruggs, Kris Wilkes, Jermaine Samuels, Justin Smith, Jericho Sims, etc.

ā€” Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) July 29, 2016

Looks like they are hoping for a few more guys to fill out their class.

2 Likes

I know there have been some people wondering about Cainā€™s timeline. Over on MGoBlog MattD just recently wrote that his decision is likely to be made by late September or early October. Sorry if thatā€™s already been posted here or was common knowledge.

2 Likes

I would not be surprised to see his wing spot go to someone else.

1 Like

That would be unfortunate IMO. He is the best realistic optionā€¦ unless Poole can somehow convince Bowen when they play together this year.

I have a feeling the wing spot may be filled before then. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Smith is offered on his visit and commits shortly after. He seems to be waiting for that Michigan offer and is bringing his whole family on the visit.

1 Like

Yeah, the timing will be interesting over the next couple of months. Smith visit should be one to watch.