2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer)

I know mr. Matthews personally and know what was running through his mind for several months. He’s in a much better place right now

So are you admitting to some personal bias that you accuse me of lol? I get it, and I don’t blame you.

A little, maybe. as high schoolers, I feel Matthews was better. Cain has a year to change my mind. Him gaining 10-15lbs alone might change my mind.

Just watch Matthews and Cains junior year videos and I think it’s clear matthews was better. Matthews didn’t do a whole lot his senior year but was still pretty dominant.

Oh and Matthews played the best division in one of the best states for high school basketball.

You don’t have to convince me about Charles Matthews, I’m already a fan.

1 Like

If in '18 we had a lineup of -
Pg - Simpson
Sg - Matthews
Sf - Cain
Pf - livers
C - Wagner

That could potentially be my favorite Michigan line up ever. Not best maybe, but favorite.

1 Like

Agreed I would love that team. This is a pipe dream, but if it was Simpson, Poole, Matthews, Livers, Bamba it would be even better.

In terms of talent., Matthews is WAY ahead of Poole. If they shoot equally or even close to one another, Matthews is playing sg. As it stands now, they’ll be playing together but if Cain comes, I see Matthews/Cain >>> Poole.

What school got involved with Cain recently?

As I reported earlier in the thread, Cincy came to view Jamal on Friday, Marquette on Sunday, with UM scheduled to be in this week/next week.

1 Like

Cincinnati is the school not on his list I believe as @MattD mentioned earlier in this thread.

I’ll emphasize, Cincy is not a school on Jamal’s list, and that is as far as I can go.

I agree with most of this, but I wonder if Matthews would be upset with coming here and being moved to the 4. I have serious doubts that Duncan can play a lot of minutes at the 4, but I don’t know if Matthews fits there either. This is why we have so desperately needed a legit 4. If we can’t land Bamba then we really need either DJ or Livers to develop big time.

I didn’t see it, my fault.

Go DJ! I have faith in you!

This is make it or break year for DJ. If he does not develop he will ride the pine until he graduates.

Hate to say it, but my faith in DJ isn’t very high. His motor just isn’t high enough to play in the paint, and his skill level isn’t high enough to play the perimeter. I hope he proves me wrong

I’m noticeably more excited about Poole than most on this board I think. I want Cain too, and I understand the arguments made in his favor. But I think Poole will be one of our better offensive options as a creator and scorer very early on. I’m hoping the year at LaLu will help prepare him for the B1G and improve his shot percentages from this past year.

1 Like

I love Jordan Poole’s game, if he can refine his body and we can add a legit #1 option, I think he’s primed to be an All B10 type player.

2 Likes

That’s a big “if” though, the consensus thoughts are that Poole is a far superior shooter, and also a better dribbler and passer. Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of Matthews and hope that JB can make him a serviceable shooter. But Poole and Matthews, by design it would seem, bring different things to the team, and Poole’s skill set better fits the 2 spot

2 Likes