2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

I dont agree with you on that. Maybe I am drinking the Duke Kool-Aid. I think the fault in most of the post players that go to Duke that are not immediately translating to “one and done” falls on the players and their specific circumstances (e.g. Bolden and Giles having injury issues, Jeter being a twig). From what I recall, there have been plenty of post players with severe limitations at Duke who have made it to the NBA. That being said, I think any of Duke, UK or Michigan would serve him well from developmental standpoint

I also question whether: a) Bamba wants to be one and done - why would you care immensely about academics and networks if you are only going to be around for 3/4 of an academic year?; and b) I wonder if Bamba will actually be a good one and done candidate - his offensive game could use some serious polish and think that at least two years under a developmental coach in college would do him a lot of good.

2 Likes

We probably wont know just how much Bamba is prioritizing academics and networking until he makes his commitment; and even if he does genuinely value those things, they may not be enough to ignore being a top 15 pick.

And I think the NBA values athletic ability, versatility, and being elite at any of the facet(s) of the game. Bamba clearly has elite athleticism, and he is already projected as an elite rim protector and rebounder. I agree that his game, and perhaps draft prospects, would benefit from offensive development, but I’d be surprised if his raw-ness stopped him from being a sure-fire lottery pick. Cauley-Stein is an example I can think of, where being raw kept him from entering the draft. But I dont remember if he returned despite promising draft reports.

That’s fair. A lot of what we have to base on Bamba is putting ourselves in his shoes and speculating. Just wait and see what he ends up choosing and that will reveal his true priorities.

Cauley-Stein is indeed a good example, but he also had a better version of the same player playing in front of him with Nerlens Noel as a freshman. That limited his exposure quite a bit if memory serves. Bamba’s elite athleticism and rim protection will definitely make him a lottery pick after one year in college. I think with two years of college in the right program, he could be top 3 (assuming equal depth in drafts).

1 Like

In a 13 scholarship roster, 5 “bigs” and 8 “perimeters” isn’t out of whack, IMO, but that can be debated by personal choice. Still with the specifics for UM next season, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the depth at the 1-2-3 spots ---- the proven quality of the options is a legit question, but not the number of bodies/ability to fill the 120mins/game.

Theoretically, looking at Simpson/MAAR/Matthews starting with DRobinson and either Brooks or Poole as regulars off the bench. That leaves the other of Poole/Brooks, plus Watson & Livers hunting for scrap minutes. Which gives the staff enough lineup flexibility & normal injury protection for next season.

And in the Bamba/Wagner/Wilson hypothetical at the 4&5 spots, there would be fewer “small ball” opportunities for Robinson/Livers at the 4-spot.

I continue to operate under the assumption that he isn’t coming here. We don’t really need help at the 5, so we will be fine without him. Now, if he wants to come, I will welcome him with open arms and figure out the roster issues later.

3 Likes

But if I’m bamba and I’m not just saying this Michigan or Texas is my easy pick. Really Michigan as I’m looking to make a run and with bamba I project us as a final four contender. Why not duke and Kentucky? Because they have a crapload of depth. If Giles stays which is very possible ( I could see him going top 8 still easily) he has 4 bigs already there. He could easily vault over them but as bad as bolden and Giles have looked their much more talented then this and will both play a ton next year. Add Carter and jeter and that’s a full house. I could see him struggling to get 20 minutes a night if he struggles to adjust, just like Giles and bolden did…

Kentucky after bam and Willis are gone already has 5 pf/c on their roster before mo. All of them top fifty kids. Something has to give. Is mo the best option for both teams? Maybe but still he could up playing 15-20 minutes a night on each team.

Coach Ks development of bigs lately hasn’t exactly been amazing and coach cals has been incredible but then again towns, cousins, Noel, Davis, and so on would have been top 5 guys had they been coached by me in my back yard for a year. Not that amazing to take a top 5 kid and make him a top 5 kid.

At Michigan he checks every box. Contender? Yep. Minutes? Yep at least 25-30 all day.? Development? Show him what dj or moe looked like or Morgan and just ask him how good do you want to be? If you really want to play position less ball and develop skills in a realistic pro offense then where better then running the p n r/ pop next year then with x? His offensive game will flourish under belein leaving him as a two way monster that nba teams will be tanking, praying they get. It just makes sense.
/

2 Likes

pay-walled. can anybody convey the gist?

1 Like

Kentucky reporters seem to think they are safely in the lead after the Duke visit from a quick twitter search

UK in lead. UM behind the other three but odd mention of some in MO’s camp with Ann Arbor ties.

1 Like

Rivals reporting Texas is the lead fwiw. Just had a really strong bond with Shaka, fwiw.

Balas thinks Texas is the team to beat on this one.

The Ann Arbor ties are what got this whole thing started. It seems pretty clear that no one really has a clue what he’s going to do and that’s how Mo wants it as far as I can tell. People just throw out one thing like “his bond with Shaka”, “his ties to Ann Arbor”, "“his connection with Quade and Hamidou”.

All of those will probably play a part, but they are the kind of thing you say when you don’t know where he’s leaning :slight_smile: Not sure that anyone does at this point other than Mo.

4 Likes

Kentucky in the lead? That’s the least academically respected school on his list. This brings me back to his coach saying he’s only going to college because he has to.

1 Like

I guess I’m Confused. If he chooses Kentucky will some transfer? I’m not saying he won’t start but will the others reconsider?

His coach seems like a bit of a self promoter. I suspect the one and done straight to NBA talk is as much about hyping his own program. He used to be a sneaker exec at and 1.

1 Like

That makes sense. His comments were so detached from anything Bamba has said.

I agree with Dylan here. After hearing & reading all info from everywhere I can find, and knowing UM has some good ties w/ Bamba, I honestly don’t think ANYONE knows who leads and possibly/realistically no one does lead.

1 Like

That presumes Mo knows where he’s leaning. Haha

I’m looking at Westtowns basketball team and I guess I don’t see how they are not the best high school team in the country. Mo, Randolph, reddish is disgusting. Then forrestor ect