2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

I’ll be very surprised if Bamba is anywhere but Duke or Kentucky.

That said, Michigan and Texas are (by most accounts) right there with those two at this stage.

Right, I’m conceding that. I’m mocking how ridiculous it is that a recruiting expert projecting someone to be in a class has less stock with fans than his “gut feeling.” Anyways, back to Mo Bamba.

I think Sam has more than proved his accuracy in football at this point so yes, I agree to drop it.

Generally agree, but Bolden and Giles doing next to nothing so far can’t hurt our chances.

…Jeter is pretty bad as well

I hope Mo was watching last night! Would we ever get tired of the announcers constantly talking about how long this team is if Beilein could get Wagner/Wilson/Bamba on the floor at the same time? Add in a distributor and a 3pt sniper and watch out!

1 Like

A lot on this forum seem to disagree but I definitely think those 3 could play together at the same time.

In my opinion Wagner is locked into Center on defensive and Bamba is locked into the center position on offense.

Imagine the weak side help of Bamba on one side and Wilson on the other…

(Bamba is the better defender at center position but I think you have to try to figure out a way to get those 3 on the floor at the same time if Bamba joins us.)

The only thing that worries me about the proposition of playing those 3 at the same time is Wagner’s defense. If Wagner can become average at defending the center position, playing them together would be an excellent option, imo. I don’t think there is any hope of Wagner defending perimeter players…

If Bamba came here he would likely be here for only one year. During that year we would have exactly zero reliable playmakers. A Simpson-Matthews-Wilson-Wagner-Bamba lineup would be an absolute disaster on offense, especially in beilein’s system.

1 Like

Would Michigan have to resort to more of its old motion offense, passing guys open instead of PnR or dribble driving past their man and drawing help defenders? Perhaps more post dumps or post kickouts?

No matter what I think next years team will have major issues unless two playmakers emerge for sure. Based upon what I have seen I am not anticipating X being productive in the half court next year either–he is not even close to ready… I have only heard that Matthews is not a playmaker–I have no idea.

Candidates are: MAAR, Brooks, Poole and DJ (?).

Most likely candidates are MAAR and Brooks.

Not trying to be pessimistic but it is doubtful either will be high level playmakers next year.

We are in a tight spot when it comes to filling the “playmaker” role…

I am not sure what your point was but I don’t think playing DJ, Wagner, and Bamba together solves or exacerbates the lack of a playmaker issue.

I think some of us, including myself, will look at Irvin differently after seeing our team without him next year.

5 Likes

Not me, I will be frustrated with the staff for not finding a superior replacement in 4 years. Not Irvin’s fault at all, he’s simply being forced to do something he’s not capable of.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you misunderstood me??? I’m saying we don’t appreciate that he is the only thing resembling a playmaker we have, and although he irritates us at times, we have nobody coming in to replace that. Isn’t your response just an extrapolation of that?

Fully agree it is worth trying to make this work, regardless of traditional position definitions.

If Langford taught us one thing its that when a 5star wants to come, you fit him in regardless of position/scheme especially when you are Michigan and don’t get that attention but once every several years.

A bit more specifically, if Mo (W) has trouble guarding further out, thats a much more acceptable problem for him (or anyone) if you have someone behind you controlling the paint. Put your five best guys on the court, and alter the system to suit their strengths. There will certainly be limitations, but lets not overthink this.

1 Like

I think I did misunderstand there. We’re in agreement.

1 Like

Meh, get the blue chip prospect and let things play out. If neither X nor MAAR improve and neither Brooks nor Poole are ready to contribute as freshmen then we are in trouble offensively regardless. Hoping one of them can create next year with Bamba on the roster makes me feel better than hoping one of them can create without Bamba on the roster.

Mo Bamba was watching this and we saw the results. I am sure he’s tuning into Kentucky Florida right after to watch Kentucky play real basketball

And lose by 20?

2 Likes

For the record he didn’t post a pic watching Kentucky tonight :slight_smile: