2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

Bamba is one of the most coveted bigs in recent memory. If we as a fan base don’t think a Michigan team anchored by a Bamba/Wagner front line would be as dominant as that Wisconsin team was, I guess people don’t have that much faith in JB after all. Or maybe people just like to keep the expectations low (for some reason).

1 Like

LOL, those two Wisconsin teams went to two Final Fours, beat a Kentucky super team and barely lost in the championship to Duke. ‘Keeping expectations low’

3 Likes

They also lost to Carleton University by 13 points. Look it up. :slight_smile:

Personally I think our 2012-13 team was better and despite the adulation of Bo Ryan among the Michigan fan base (as the ultimate slow-paced ball coach), I don’t think they’ve ever had a player like Bamba (neither have we, at least since Webber). Maybe I’m just an optimist – I am also expecting Michigan to win by at least two touchdowns in Columbus.

1 Like

In all seriousness, if Bamba were to come, how would you envision him being used? Would he play alongside Wagner or would they alternate?

No one said that. What a weird, weird spin.

I’m saying that it’s silly to call Bamba “easily better” than a player who 18.8ppg, 8.2rpg, 2.6apg, 1.5bpg, and shot 41.7% from 3. He was the National Player of the Year for goodness sake.

I expect Bamba to be really good. But I doubt he wins NPOY as a freshman regardless of where he plays.

2 Likes

I mean, you are basically calling him a NPOY lock if you think he is “easily better” than senior Kaminsky was.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen of Bamba on film, I think he’d primarily play the five. He’s too big and long to keep away from the hoop. You would get him in pick and pop situations, etc., but he’s too valuable to dunk and rebound everything around the hoop.

1 Like

I think he’s referring to raw talent. I mean bamba is clearly the better prospect and im sure will be the superior nba guy. Is 18 year old bamba better than 22 year old frank in the ncaa style of play?I doubt it.

But if we’re talking who’s the better talent at 18 or ten years down the road I think it’s bamba all day. I’m assuming that’s what he meant.

You play them together, and adjust your style slightly. That’s obvious imo. Also Wagner can shoot. I imagine by next year he will be even more reliable. A lineup of

X
Maar
Mathews
Wagner
Bamba

Is pretty contender worthy imo. Highest upside of almost any team yet, particularly if they develop like past classes.

Well it sounded like he was comparing the Dekker/Kaminsky duo Kaminsky’s senior year to Wagner/Bamba.

Because that’s literally what he said.

1 Like

Wagner needs to markedly improve his defensive recognitions to earn significant playing time at the 4. He’s got a ton of offensive upside, but there are still major areas in his game that need to be developed. And if he struggles with the speed of the reads on his coverage responsibilities at the 5, how much will he be exposed on the perimeter against quicker 4/wings?

1 Like

I’m not sure what this could mean, more exposure. More games on network TV? It would only be an issue at Harvard. The NBA will find him wherever he goes. Is he looking ahead to sponsorship deals? Hard to say where he gets more attention, being the biggest name at Michigan or Texas, being on a top ranked team at Kentucky or Duke. I’d think the biggest risk is in being overshadowed at the latter two.

1 Like

I agree on the being overshadowed issue. There isn’t that much out there about him but you do get a sense he’s looking for business networking opportunities along with a system the is built around him in a non-traditional big man’s role.

Bamba next to Wilson would be an extremely long front

Wendell Carter to announce 11/23 per Borzello Twitter. Lots of views on whether this helps/hurts with Bamba if Carter goes to Duke or to Harvard, but definitely one of the required dominoes that needed to fall to get a better sense of where we are.

Carter is expected to commit to Duke.

Bamba was at the Champions Classic last night as well.

I’d guess Carter going to Harvard would be the biggest potential game-changer, allowing Bamba to see the Crimson really being a Final Four type team. I look forward to Michigan fans’ reactions if TommyA nabs both those guys.

Amaker was always a great recruiter. He just was not a good “coach”. The opposite of Beilein actually.

2 Likes

Meh… “Great”?

Amaker could have been a great recruiter if he had the accommodations Beilein has.

On the flip side, he’s just not the coach Beilein is.

2 Likes