2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

I think it’s been pretty well established how Coach K used USA Basketball to turn into a 1-and-done machine. That’ll be on full display this year with Giles and Tatum’s class.

The biggest thing I am interested in is why Bamba is the guy reaching out to Michigan. That’s nice he’s reaching out but Brown reached out to Michigan as well. Why isn’t Michigan the one reaching out to these guys?

3 Likes

Bamba hasn’t been talking to ANYONE. Quiet even for an elite recruit. You don’t even hear much from family or his coaches.

I certainly have not reached a level to where the Bamba camp/family would even consider talking to me lol.

Brown had some family connection/support for Michigan, IIRC. Bamba does not. Just my opinion, but I think that he became aware of our academic reputation together with a high D1 hoops program with recent success and reached out. Maybe a family friend with UM degree. Who knows. This kid is different - in a good way. Pretty unpredictable, IMO. As one of several schools that he’s seriously looking at, we have a shot.

3 Likes

Trying to be careful to jump to a conclusion that it is an easy solution, but honest question: Would it be possible for the staff to get some basic intel on all of the top 50 – a) who has any tie to the state (booker, brown, etc), b) who has has a high likelihood of appreciating academics, and if that top 50 who are already not core to our midwest radar falls to 3-4 guys, just reaching out? Maybe it isn’t that simple, but it is the first thing that crosses my mind when i hear these guys had to call us.

1 Like

I was curious who Bamba’s brother is, found this link via google Ibrahim Johnson player bio

It’s probably not that tough. Just takes time and effort

I think you’re right. There were photos of Donovan Peoples-Jones with Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union on the Nebraska sideline last week. I haven’t seen any complaints made about that.

IIRC, Spike had no offers as a HS senior. He did a year of prep school hoping to get some. He came in as a 20 year old freshman.

1 Like

From Brandon Justice:

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/the-justice-report-bamba-confidence-rising-kelly-powells-oregon-visit-more

Landof10.com was able to grab some information on New York City 5-star power forward Mo Bamba, who visited last weekend for the Hawaii football game. A source on Michigan’s side of things had this to say about Bamba and Michigan — as of Monday afternoon.

“I would say my confidence is about an eight out of 10 right now that he chooses Michigan,” the source said. “Texas, Kentucky, Duke and Harvard are all still there.”

They are that confident? The hell?

3 Likes

I wont, but I really want to hold my breath

Bamba gets it! I hope…

Love it. Hopes are up, hey we gotta dream right?

Fyi, the guy who wrote that article is a 20 year old Michigan fan, who used to be a writer for Rivals.
Don’t know what to make of this. Better news than the opposite. But at the end of the day, nobody knows much about a top 5 recruit.

He was canned from Rivals already?

I don’t buy that

This site was a promotion, apparently. I think because he has full control of the recruiting aspect of it.

This is correct. He was doing a good job at rivals in my opinion…though he was limited to the football side of things and didn’t do much with hoops.