2016-17 Non-conference schedule

Tuesday, Dec. 6. I’m very surprised it’s not being played on a weekend. I figured it would be Saturday, Dec. 3.

Yeah me too. What’s our schedule look like the weekend before and after?

From the future schedule page:

2016-17

• November 11th – vs. Howard (2k Sports Non-Bracket Game)
  • November 13th – vs. IUPUI (2K Sports Non-Bracket Game)
  • November 17th – vs. Marquette (9:30 p.m, ESPN2)
  • November 18th – vs. SMU or Pittsburgh (4:30 p.m./7:00 p.m.)
  • November 30th – vs. Virginia Tech (Big Ten-ACC Challenge)
  • December 6th – vs. Texas (Crisler Center)
  • December 10th – at UCLA
  • December 17th – at Cincinnati

Interesting that Texas hosts Alabama on Dec. 2nd, which probably made the weekend game impossible for the 3rd or 4th.

2 Likes

That makes sense. That’s a nice stretch for us there…wow.

Notable because Michigan plays UCLA.

Wow. Didn’t we recruit him too?

Wasn’t any good anyway.

I mean he had their best block rate and judging from their forums he was a good defender overall. Just because his offensive numbers don’t jump off the page doesn’t mean he’s bad.

Also averaged nearly 5 boards in 20 minutes per game. Was just going to be a sophomore. Probably still has loads of potential at that size with ball skills.

1 Like

Tough schedule it looks like but winnable games.I like it. I’ve been thinking of the future so much I’m forgetting the now. I’m holding out hope Walton puts it all together. This combined with wagners improvement which i think is s lock makes me think we should be good.

A good starting five with experience. We could make a run if everyone plays to their potential. We could be very dangerous.

I think we will have one of the more experienced starting fives we’ve had in a couple years minus the injuries and even with the defections sometimes its addition by subtraction. What the bench bring to the table will be the story for Mich. The hope is that the guys coming in can bring the skills, awareness and consistency that the defectors lacked. If Wilson struggles to give us anything we will have issues.

I expect Walton and Irvin to look and play like leaders in the conference.

Just a side note, but your comment made me think… When’s the last time Michigan has had a pair of seniors that were expected to lead the team in terms of production? I don’t think Beilein’s ever had that here.

The last time they had two senior starters would be Zack and Stu. Obviously they weren’t expected to lead the team in production, but similar.

I guess last year they had Spike and Caris but that obviously didn’t really work out due to injuries.

1 Like

Yeah I thought about those 2 but by their senior year they were role players to THJ and Morris. That’s crazy that heading into his 9th season it’ll be the 1st time his main 2 scorers are seniors.

Non-conference schedule is out. No trip to UC, replaced by trip to South Carolina.

But there is a series with South Carolina? Is that something new or did I miss it earlier? Also good to get confirmation on the legitimacy of that site I posted last month that suggested cincy wasn’t happening. It’s fun to keep an eye out for that stuff.

So what do we think? Seems like a pretty solid, balanced schedule.

It’s a good schedule, balanced – 6 power conference games (2 away, 2 neutral, 2 home, including some big names), a couple probably mid-level games, and a few probable tomato cans – with opportunities for good wins. That’s basically what you want from the nonconference - some quality wins and preparing the team for conference play. We should have opportunities for both. I know some folks won’t like the patsy games, but (a) we shouldn’t be surprised at this point, JB clearly likes a couple of those, and (b) the difference in RPI usually only matters, if at all, on the margin – and I don’t expect to be a bubble team this year.

Is there any concern that there are too many potentially sub 250 RPI type teams on the schedule? Every team schedules numerous guarantee games but it seems like we get too many teams that are not only from bad conferences but happen to be one of the worst teams in said bad conference. I don’t know how much that affects the RPI formula but there has to be a way to game the system better than we do. Looks like we have a very challenging conference schedule so that should help and I would hope Minnesota and Rutgers aren’t absolutely horrific teams this season.

I like the 6 major conference teams we play. I don’t know that there will be one marquee type team among them but it’s a nice blend of good solid matchups.