2016-17 Non-conference schedule

Was hoping for Pitt, mostly due to our SMU curse. Marquette was only alright last year (95 on kenpom) but they lose Ellenson. I guess the good news is we have the easiest path to the championship.

Marquette might be ok they return 4 players in double figures, add a grad transfer in Katin Reinhardt who has lots of experience. He’s kind of up and down but he has had some great games. They’re also bringing in 2 top 100 recruits. The good news is they don’t have a lot of size with the exception of Fischer but Michigan will need to actually exploit the size advantage they have.

However they end up, I think the tourney provides the right type of competition for us next year. It looks like we have a lot of opportunities for beatable top 100 RPI type teams with no clear powerhouse that we stand little chance against. I like it overall.

Official, Michigan vs. Marquette.

Also add IUPUI to the slate on Nov. 13

Odd that the games in NYC are on Thurs/Friday.

1 Like

Few extra details on the front page

1 Like

Starting a home and home beginning next season at home, then in Austin. Per Jon Rothstein’s twitter.

Do we know if the Cincy series is still on?

I like Texas as an opponent. They should have a solid RPI and they play a system that plays right into our hands IMO.

Yeah, Michigan has played well against Shaka’s teams (also beat Texas last year). Odd part is that last year’s Texas team didn’t force turnovers or push the pace like a typical Shaka Smart team. I wonder if they’ll look more like a traditional Smart team this year without Ridley.

The only real info we have is that post I made in this thread a couple weeks ago, post 9 I believe. That’s pure speculation though, and besides that there’s no evidence that it got canceled.

Texas had some good players returning and a terrific recruiting class coming in. Good to see they have at least a decent non conference home game.

But yeah, get 4 more games against D1 teams who project to low 100s-high 200s in RPI and I’ll be ecstatic with the schedule (which is not something I’ve been able to say recently).

Needed someone to start a home-and-home on the road and finally found it.

Next year you have Texas and ACC game on the road with home games against UC and UCLA. Then a trip to Maui. That’s a pretty loaded slate.

Assuming Cinci is still on - neutral games against Marquette & SMU/Pitt, home games against Texas and Va Tech, road games against Cinci and UCLA - that’s a pretty good, balanced top to the schedule, with a couple big names in there too.

I don’t get why we don’t schedule some of the better MAC teams. Akron, Buffalo, Ohio, Ball State, and EMU are right in the butter zone for wins that are close to automatic but still against respectable teams.

1 Like

Rememember EMU 2 years ago? :confused:

That season never happened.

4 Likes

Michigan/Texas is official

The game will be played on Dec 6th. Texas just announced their non conference sched.

1 Like