2016/17 Commitment Updates

Jamal Cain with 40pts Tuesday night.

Love that kids game.

1 Like

Wolverine3, are we close to offering him? Would hate to see another in state kid blowup at another school. Also do you know anything about what is going on with Xavier Tillman? Seemed we were in on him early but no mention recently and seems MSU is targeting him. Thanks

This has probably been asked before 10x but are Xavier and Donnie Tillman related? I seem to recall a guy named Tillman that went to UDM also. And who is the better prospect? Info appreciated.

3 Likes

Colby, I honestly donā€™t know. They have shown lukewarm interest. Had him on campus for the Xavier game. Still pretty early for '17ā€™s but thatā€™s a kid Iā€™d stay on hard. Depends what their board looks like.

Have mercy Beilein!

Awesomeā€¦ if heā€™s that good, I look forward to X competing with Walton for the starting spot!

PS 59 points in a game is ridiculous.

I didnā€™t remember Burke being a big scorer in HS but a look back and he did average 23.3ppg / 6.7apg.

Probably didnā€™t have to score much til his senior season with Sullinger and JD Weatherspoon the class ahead of him.

1 Like
1 Like

Austin Davis line from the 12/19 65-32 win over Richard. 23 points on 8-11 shooting including 1-1 from 3 point range, and 6-7 free throws. 17 rebounds (4 off.), 1 assist, 1 steal, 6 TO, 7 blocks and 4 PF.

1 Like
2 Likes

Damn it Timā€¦

Echoing what Coach Beilein said, Austin Davis is much faster this year.
Iā€™ve been luke warm on Davis but supportive, but after seeing this latest snippet, Iā€™m encouraged. Looking forward to seeing more. That video showed a big ten caliber Big. RS year adding strength, agility, and muscle, then letā€™s see what we have.

1 Like

Agree that everything about Davis looked pretty good although the competition is suspect ā€“ I think the opposing ā€œcenterā€ is 6-foot-4. IIRC Doyle and Donnal both played against somewhat better (if not elite) competition in HS and they are not exactly dominant bigs in the Big Ten.

Surprising number of alley-oops in that video. That takes skill from both Davis and his teammates. Very encouraging.

Life is good for a high school coach when you have a 6-11 guy (Teske or Davis) with reasonable hands. Pretty simple coaching message: just throw it in to the big guy!

His athleticism and physique have improved from what I can see. Still a project obviously. I was a bit disappointed with how he didnā€™t use his body as much as he should. Maybe it was because he knew he didnā€™t need to, but I would have liked to see him bully the opponent a little more.

1 Like

Austin is an outstanding young man, and a very accomplished student ( 31 on ACT ), but he is a stratosphere away from being a serviceable B1G player. He would be overwhelmed right now with the pace of a typical D1 game. The competition he plays is light years away from most high caliber HS players. If the M staff can take this young man and develop him into a competent player and part time contributor in the future, I will be duly impressed. Go Austin!

1 Like

They will and he will. As you said, he is a bright kid (4+ average) and he has been working his ass off on his body and skill level. He will develope into a solid B1G player. And he will be a true center, not a converted stretch 4.