2016/17 Commitment Updates

The other thing that is intriguing about Donnal is he has a pretty good looking shot. If he gets his shot going he would become much more of a threat…and I think that is entirely possible. Also, regarding Donnal’s potential I think he could really benefit from work on his body. He looks to have too much fat. I think a taste of individual success might make him work hard in the off season.

I think one of the biggest problems with DJ is he is a big guy who wants to be a guard.

Alright. I think I may just see different things. Those numbers are inflated due to 3 of 18 games. I guess if he’s sold you guys, he’s done a great job. I’m far from sold

That’s because he was a guard/wing in HS…this is why label him as a transition cost guy. It just takes far too long to convert oversized wings to bigs.

This is exactly why Chris Mack is a perfect fit for Michigan. He has the inroads established in this State to start getting the talent needed

I agree. I think he’d be a great fit for Michigan. Hopefully bring toughness back around these parts.

I’ve refrained from offering any insight to the situation because folks around here were really pushing the ‘benefit of the doubt’ and the ‘dirty recruitment’ thing to the absolute extreme, but I think its stable enough to talk about at this point (and its now public).

FWIW Josh Jackson’s mom is a UM fan, his girlfriend is also committed to UM for basketball (16). JB refused to offer the kid because he would not visit first…which is his policy with every recruit. Not saying we would’ve landed Jackson, BUT, there may have been a chance.

2 Likes

How do you operate a program in this age of college basketball like that and expect to be successful?

2 Likes

How can anybody think these are good recruiting practises? It’s honorable to have these characteristics but by doing this you’re selling the program short and putting the program at a disadvantage.

2 Likes

I don’t like the practice, because I think it is old-fashioned and unnecessary.

But it has nothing to do with why Josh Jackson isn’t coming to Michigan. The fact that Josh Jackson hasn’t visited Michigan shows that he is not interested. Plus, from interviews I’ve seen with recruits, JB and staff make it pretty clear to certain recruits that an offer will be given as soon as a that recruit visits. So it’s not like Jackson was just left to wonder why Michigan never offered.

You’re wrong…

2 Likes

Josh Jackson certainly wasn’t a non recruitable kid. Just a pissing match between his camp and Beilein regarding JBs policy of visiting. He was probably not coming here anyways, but that was no reason to withhold an offer because of semantics regarding visit protocol. Was it?

Non visits by potential football recruits doesn’t preclude Harbaugh from extending offers to talented kids early in the process. He sees talent, he offers.

JB is so FAR behind the eight ball in regards to offering talented kids because of his own preset criteria. How’s that working out so far?

3 Likes

You don’t. Like Wagner? I feel coach b stifled him. Also I’m with you on Wilson. He has no arc that’s why their not falling. Their dead on just straight line drives

Josh Jackson told you (or someone of known veracity) that he would have considered Michigan had they offered?

If so, why didn’t he visit? He is from the area. If his girlfriend lives on the west side of the state, I’m sure he visited her.

The policy has been plain wrong the entire time.

In recruiting since “we don’t cheat” you better show the love to these guys.

Every school wants JJ but JB wants him to visit first to offer. It’s hilarious to think that high profile of a recruit would ever consider coming to Michigan

3 Likes

Do you want me to be honest?

Yes. Why would you be anything but?

Sam Webb had a long segment today about basketball recruiting and this came up. It makes me beyond depressed and frustrated that we did not even give ourselves a chance with Jackson because of all the hoops we make kids go through first. What a stupid and antiquated policy.

All offers can be made conditional on grades, etc, so why have these things be a prerequisite? When the number 1 player in the country is in your backyard and won’t visit unless he gets an offer, then for chrissakes offer the kid already! Its things like this that give me no hope for the program being anything more than what it is now which is a perennial bubble team.

2 Likes

Check your messages

Ahhh…so it looks like I’m not a liar after all…I’ve been telling people around here for 2 years but nobody wanted to listen to me. JB is not well thought of in inner city circles (Detroit) to be honest with you guys.

1 Like