2016/17 Commitment Updates

Hoops - good point about the coaching approach on PnR - this could very well be true.

Have to disagree about the ‘fire’ though, at least to the extent that it simply doesn’t translate to his effort level. His ball pursuit and box outs leave LOT to be desired.

1 Like

So much to play out yet, but I can not envision a scenario where either Teske or Davis is a significant contributor next year. Seems a very good chance that Teske is the RS candidate.

How much longer can we continue to recruit projects who essentially spend 2-3 years on the pine before they get any playing time? Damn, when do we get somebody who’s ready to play right away?

1 Like

I am certainly not close to being a scout but Teske looks to need a lot of work. I agree it’s nice he keeps the ball high and blocks shots. He certainly lacks agility and probably one of the reasons he didn’t come out on pick n pops is because he would vacate the paint and a guy would blow by him. He needs to get a lot stronger, I am not sure why they would offer him and Davis because both are extremely raw.

As someone that has watched hours of full game film on Teske, I’m pretty confident in saying that his lateral movement is surprisingly good for a legit 6’11 guy, in fact its the best part of his game other than shotblocking. I can guarantee you that he will be a HUGE upgrade over both Donnal and Doyle in that regard. I provided countless examples of this roughly a year ago, with film to back it up. Dude can move side to side at 6’11 to the point where he can actually stay with guards.

Where Teske is going to really struggle is on the glass, his box outs/ball pursuit are poor to be honest, and his verticality is very limited. As I said before its going to be 2-3 years before Teske is an impact player, but I think he has a higher ceiling than Austin Davis.

1 Like

I will take your word for it. Why in the video wouldn’t he come out and challenge those shots then? You could make the case he wasn’t in rebounding position even if shots were missed so what’s he have to lose by challenging those shots?

You can see it for yourself, with the particular minute/second mark already denoted for easy access:

If I have a 7 footer in high school I’m playing him exactly like that in PnR situations. Make the other team make outside shots and have a great shot blocker hang back and invite them to come in.

And I’m a big believer in hedge and recover in PnR. Help coming from every where on roll guy

For the record, I’m not saying Teske is going to cover PnR like Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, or Serge Ibaka…just that I think he’s going to be a HUGE upgrade over Donnal and Doyle in that regard. I also think Teske is going to struggle mightily on the glass until he’s an upperclassmen, he just isn’t very physical to be honest.

Sure if they start hitting those shots you have to come out.

Medina’s coach (If intended) is employing the Wisconsin philosophy, AKA the soft hedge…basically make the guard take a long 2 and try to recover on the pop man. In other words, cede the long 2 to prevent giving up the paint

I think it’ll be okay if Teske needs a couple years to adjust. It’s fairly normal for big men, outside of the elite athletic ones or highly skilled ones. I am not as down on our big men as others. I think Donnal and Wagner OR Doyle can be competent next season. I"m not saying they’ll be great, but I don’t think the position will be a black hole like it was for much of the year. Defense will obviously never be their strength (though Wagner shows some promise there), so I could see the temptation of playing Teske early just because he could be a presence in the paint to block shots and with our perimeter defense being porous, that’d be nice. Personally, I"m hoping we go small as much as we can next year with X, Walton, Rahk, Irvin and whoever at center. That perimeter defense wouldn’t be bad. Obviously interior D is still a weakness.

Have to completely disagree with respect to perimeter D…for 2-3 years we’ve essentially all been saying, it can’t get any worse, and somehow it has, despite more experience. As much as we give the benefit of the doubt to JB on offense (deservedly so), I think we have to come to grips with the fact that the guy is simply a poor defensive coach, and to be honest, borderline incompetent. Are we athletic - no, do we have shot blockers - no…should we be this bad on D, this consistently, no.

Just wonder how Teske will fare against bigs who are remotely close to his size. Not sure how many of those he has faced to date. Seems that he allows much smaller guys to contest his shot and has trouble finishing at the rim … just thinking back to Donnal’s HS film where he was dunking everything… which is not exactly what he does at Michigan. Good shot-blocking though. Matt is right about the closeouts.

Matt how does Teske compare to Isaac Haas. Haas seems to have a lot of skill but hasn’t been used much due to twin towers of Swanigan/Hammons. Haas looks to be very efficient, good shot blocker. Seems to be more muscular than Teske though.

I never said it would be good. Just that I don’t think that lineup in particular would be a bad perimeter defending team. That lineup would probably be average. Overall, it would still most likely be bad. I think we’ve only had two average defenses under JB. One his first year and then in 12-13. I don’t expect it to be significantly improved until I actually see it happen.

Good question – I would also be interested in a comparison with Alex Olah.

Obviously I would rather Haas than Olah but I am tempering my expectations. The guy that Teske reminds me of most is Jeff Foote from that good Cornell team a few years back… though looking at Foote’s highlights on YT, even that may be ambitious.

Honestly, Haas’ film is pretty similar to Teske…seemed a bit uncoordinated with his movements as well. The big differences I see is 1) Haas has 7-8 inches on Teske in terms of verticality at the same age 2) Haas has much better ball pursuit/motor at the same age 3) Haas had a more refined body in terms of muscle tone.

Overall, I think Teske is probably a bit more skilled in terms of passing and perimeter shooting, Haas a bit more physically gifted…but Teske is carrying some bad weight at this point. A year or two with SC program should really help Teske. Just an extra 4 inches to his vertical will help tremendously at his size.

When Teske first committed and I watched hours of his full game film, I thought Adam Woodbury was a fair comparison, and I still think so. I don’t think Teske is every going to be a 15pg type guy. I think the more likely scenario is that he plays sparingly until he’s an upperclassmen and then become a 8-10ppg, 1.5 blocks, 5-6 rebounds. However, I do think he will help our defense, especially in terms of PnR defense and altering shots.

2 Likes

I agree 1000%. Can we get someone who has a freshman can show some things?

I think X may get some run next year (depending on Spike), but not likely to be an impact player. I think the next player we see contribute as a freshman is Jordan Poole. He has some tools…big question for him as a freshman will be defense. Offensively though, no doubt he has the tools to be an all B10 player. That is legit talent