2016/17 Commitment Updates

I’m starting to have renewed faith in Ibi. Added a lot of muscle. Appears to have much better handle than originally thought. Great hops/ solid shooter and appears to have nice vision/ passing skills. He seems like the type who could be inconsistent early on. Seems like he has up and down games but when he’s into it he appears to play well against great competition.

Adding baruti sounds like a great idea to me. I think we’d have an underrated class if we add him. Not a ton of star potential per say but I think it’s a solid group with almost all of them looking like they will contribute in the future.

This is why 17 is so important imo. If we could land another four or five star with Poole who can be a future go to starter on our roster then we should have a contending future.

1 Like

Ibi’s been working his butt off getting ready for the upcoming season.

3 Likes

Interesting comparison. Yogi strikes me as very quick and has flourished in Crean’s relentlessly fast paced offence. I don’t know if X has that kind of speed. I hope so.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2017 Recruiting Notes

His game reminds me of Sherman Douglas - short, kinda stocky, really quick. Except Sherman couldn’t dunk.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2017 Recruiting Notes

Beeeline just don’t get it!!!

1 Like

Must be a plethora of outstanding talent this year if Poole is 101. Sheesh.

1 Like

Are you having reservations about him being the impact player so many of us believe him to be?

Not at all, he’s shown me enough to be confident that he will be an impact player at UM. Where I may have changed my opinion a bit is the timeline in which he will achieve that status. I go back and forth as to whether he’ll be instant impact.

Whoa, the word ‘never’ didn’t come out of my mouth lol. However, I don’t think he’s a #1 guy in college if I’m being blunt, but I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility either. Don’t think Jordan has the handle to break a defense down vs a pressure D in a half court set, and his finishing ability is limited by lack of explosion. Hard to be a #1 guy when your scoring game is limited to catch and shoot 3s and midrange jumpers off the bounce. Ideally, you want your #1 guy to score at all 3 levels AND create for others. Perhaps Jordan can develop into that in time, but I don’t think it’s there as of right now

2 Likes

I don’t know Dylan, even in HS I thought Nik was top 50 material. I always gravitate toward athletic types, but Nik was elite in literally every skill component. I love Poole, but let’s be honest, he ain’t Nik.

1 Like

Nik improved physically by leaps and bounds in two years at Michigan.

Meant more as the sort of prospect/ranking area that people thought Nik was coming out of HS. I think obviously Nik vastly outperformed his ranking.

But Poole to me projects as a guard with good size and plus playmaking and shooting ability with questions about his athleticism (but also pretty obvious areas where he can improve physically).

Think Jordan has more playmaking/ballhandling ability at the same stage.

1 Like

I’m getting a Danny Green sort of feel. I’d be plenty happy with that.

1 Like

LA - if Jordan Poole can be HALF the defender Danny Green is I’d be estatic

1 Like

Agreed on most points. Once Caris went down though, he had no choice, this roster is void of talent so he was compelled to take on that role by default. I think Zak is a #3 option on a good team, but if he’s your primary option then your team probably isn’t very good.

1 Like

Maybe. But Tim was a #2 option on a really good team, and aside from perimeter shooting (which never reached 40% in any year at Michigan), what did he do really well? MSU’s #2 last year was…? My view–certainly one with which people can reasonably disagree–is that with a great #1, and especially a great number 1 who could dominate the ball, Zak would look a whole lot better than he does when he has to be #1 and his weaknesses get magnified. For example, he’d be a much better perimeter shooter in that setting, as he was as a freshman.

From my film review, Jordan Poole can/will be a very good #2 player. I agree with you that he needs pros around him to reach his highest potential. He will also benefit from playing alongside Simpson, whose penetration ability will get poole good shots, not force him to chuck some really bad ones as he has been forced to do with Mac Irvin Fire.

2 Likes

Really good points here, can’t say I disagree.