2016 Wing - Tyus Battle

This discussion was created from comments split from: Assorted Notes.

Jerry Meyer crystalballs Battle to UM.

True or not, glad to see Michigan may be getting a little more love in his recruitment. A class with Thornton Jr. and Battle would be excellent.

Regarding Battle - I’ll believe he has high interest in UM if he signs the LOI, until then:

Tyus Battle says he was blown away by recent unofficial to UK. Said facilities, things to help player succeed "by far best" he's seen

— Jeff Drummond (@JDrumUK) July 18, 2014

Tyus Battle raved about his recent visit to Kentucky. Said he was impressed with play of freshman Devin Booker.

— Chris Fisher (@ChrisFisher247) July 18, 2014

It’s only sourced to the extent that they are messengers - fact still remains those are the sentiments of either Tyus and/or his father. Reality is the Battle camp has been steadfast in their affinity for UK since the offer/visit to the point where it can be reasonably assumed UK is the leader and eventual desitination at this juncture of his recruitment. Lots of time left, but I don’t see this one going in UM’s favor.

If using 2 biased UK sources means nothing based on the prediction accuracy you cite as an example, then Jerry Meyer’s opinion doesn’t carry much more weight either considering his accuracy:

http://247sports.com/User/Jerry%20Meyer/Predictions?PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Recruitment.Year=2014&PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Sport=Basketball

Point is, these guys probably don’t know much more than you and I, but the context of the interviews and relative distance of the comments in relation to the visits/offer is a good indicator of which way a given player is leaning. Battle has been steadily giving off good vibes for UK since the visit, while he has been rather lackluster on his view of UM, to the point where he couldn’t even recall a visit to UM in a video interview while listing Miami . Tells me all I need to know.

You are reaching.

Lackluster view? UM doesn’t have a media machine to give “good sounding quotes” nut that has nothing to do with the actual recruitment.

Meyer had 120 more crystallballs than the UK guy and was more accurate, excuse me for not thinking UK writers are credible.

Jay Wright, Boeheim, Coach K, Jamie Dixon, McCaffery, McDermott, Beilein here for MoKan/SCAN #EYBL

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) July 18, 2014

If you want to question the legitimacy of UK writers that’s fine and dandy, fact remains that Battle and his camp have raved about UK and said very little to nothing about UM in the aftermath of both visits. A recruit has to provide quotable material in order for the “media machine” to be commenced. Bottom line for me is this - we can go round and round regarding the accuracy of a given “insider”, but they probably aren’t privy to much more info than you and I, but the best indicator of a recruitment’s direction is the player/camp himself - and in this case, I think you would be ill advised to state that Tyus and/or Daddy Battle have been as glowing about UM in relation to UK, in fact it’s not even close.

We’ll just have to let it play out, but I’m very skeptical.

I can’t think of a time a UK recruit hasn’t had more favorable quotes and yet have lost their battles (no pun) in 2014 and 2015.

Villanova, Michigan, Syracuse all going with three staff members here for SCAN

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) July 18, 2014

Kentucky now has Cal, Payne & Slice in the gym for @cheick_diallo13 & @kidmamba23

— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) July 18, 2014

Team SCAN G Tyus Battle (@kidmamba23) picks up an offer from Duke. #ACC #D1 @RealTeamSCANNY

— The EYBL Circuit (@D1Circuit) July 18, 2014

2015 G @kidmamba23 will visit Duke, possibly in August, his dad tells @SNYtv

— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) July 18, 2014

I also think people are underestimating how the weak 2015 class at the guard position helps UM

UK, ZONA, UCONN, KU loading up on a ton of 2015 multi-year guards make UM, who could have 3 starting spots available, very attractive.

Tyus Battle was really looking for that Duke offer. East Coast kid to the biggest East Coast power. Malik Monk seems UK bound. Josh Langford and Jamal Murray need homes? lol. Kobi Simmons…

Tyus Battle with 8 Crystal ball predictions to Duke…all within the past 8 hours, including the almighty Jerry Meyer. Meyer looks pretty silly with that UM pick at this point( although it could’ve been a simple mistake).

Guys, I wouldn’t get my hopes up with this recruitment, it’s most likely not going to go in our favor regardless of how much bias we have.

Coach Beilein and Coach Bacari were watching Tyus Battle play at Peach Jam. Just watched it on highschoolcube thru d1circuit.com. Houston played 2-3 the whole game and Battle showed his shooting touch and made some really nice plays including a couple of clutch 3’s down the stretch to help Team Scan beat Houston Hoops. He was essentially a spot up shooter vs. the zone. They now play tomorrow morning in the semis on espn3.

A ton of coaches were watching that game including coaches from Indiana, Iowa, Villanova, St. John’s, Stanford, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch. Didn’t see anyone from Duke or Kentucky. They scanned the coaches several times

Coach Beilein and Coach Bacari were watching Tyus Battle play at Peach Jam. Just watched it on highschoolcube thru d1circuit.com. Houston played 2-3 the whole game and Battle showed his shooting touch and made some really nice plays including a couple of clutch 3's down the stretch to help Team Scan beat Houston Hoops. He was essentially a spot up shooter vs. the zone. They now play tomorrow morning in the semis on espn3.

A ton of coaches were watching that game including coaches from Indiana, Iowa, Villanova, St. John’s, Stanford, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch. Didn’t see anyone from Duke or Kentucky. They scanned the coaches several times

Yeah JB hasn’t missed ANY of Tyus Battle’s game since Reebok Breakout,flew to NJ to watch him and now Peach Jam.

All but confirms that Duke and UK are the top 2. Reading between the lines it also pretty much confirms UM isn’t a serious player for Battle

Tyus is going to go WHERE his dad wants him to go. They will say all the obligatory things about being his decision and what, but IMO he will be a rubber stamp to his dads wishes.

Tyus is going to go WHERE his dad wants him to go. They will say all the obligatory things about being his decision and what, but IMO he will be a rubber stamp to his dads wishes.

Basically what I’ve been saying for the past 3 weeks.

Dad loves rubbing elbows with the coaching elite, and is understandably proud of his son. Seems a little to involved for my liking, like HE is the “talent” being recruited. Wasn’t he a NABC All-American at small college? He is living vicariously through his son and has UNQUESTIONED veto power over his college choice.

My personal thoughts

That article doesn’t read like UK is top 2, it reads like Duke has a silent commit. UK has turned to Malik Monk. I read that article a few days back…hence why I mentioned Murray and Langford being 1a and 1b. Not a fan of Bruce Brown at the moment. Still think Kobi Simmons should be given a look to see if any mutual interest exist.

Not a big fan of Kenny Williams, either. Ali, Coleman, Eric Davis, Brooks, McQuaid, Dozier would all have to say no for me to personally understand an offer.

Josh Jackson and 1nation are now listing offers which is interesting.

TJ Leaf is now a longshot imo. Seth Towns, Matt Moyer, Miles Bridges makes me indifferent. Don’t think Ahmad is likely.

Noah Dickerson should be UM’s primary bigman target. Swanigan has a UK offer, Ellenson is a longshot and Teske/Davis/Dugan/Sharma just aren’t as good.

Dad loves rubbing elbows with the coaching elite, and is understandably proud of his son. Seems a little to involved for my liking, like HE is the "talent" being recruited. Wasn't he a NABC All-American at small college? He is living vicariously through his son and has UNQUESTIONED veto power over his college choice.

I have no issues with that actually. Kam and even DTJR registered on the radar of UM because of this exact reason.

NJ is Coach K’s playground and Duke is perceived as the high-end version of UM, though UM has been better lately. 24/7 TV coverage and scouts comparing TJ Leaf to Kyle Singler (and other biased evaluations) make it even worse. Most of those battles (no pun) will be won without a handicap i.e. GR3 and McGary. DTJR could still be a wildcard but he would have to commit ASAP and that isn’t likely.