Big Ten Recruiting

This discussion was created from comments split from: Aubrey Dawkins: Most improved?.

I don’t know exactly where this fits on the board, so I figured I would post here. MSU’s 2016 class is about to be pretty unreal. Strong rumors of Bridges committing to MSU on Saturday. That would give them four top-40 players in Bridges, Langford, Winston, and Nick Ward. Three of which we offered and clearly wanted. This will definitely be a problem for Michigan, especially with only Bridges and maybe Langford being a one-and-done. Thoughts?

I don't know exactly where this fits on the board, so I figured I would post here. MSU's 2016 class is about to be pretty unreal. Strong rumors of Bridges committing to MSU on Saturday. That would give them four top-40 players in Bridges, Langford, Winston, and Nick Ward. Three of which we offered and clearly wanted. This will definitely be a problem for Michigan, especially with only Bridges and maybe Langford being a one-and-done. Thoughts?
It's also rumored that Josh Jackson might end up at MSU.
I don't know exactly where this fits on the board, so I figured I would post here. MSU's 2016 class is about to be pretty unreal. Strong rumors of Bridges committing to MSU on Saturday. That would give them four top-40 players in Bridges, Langford, Winston, and Nick Ward. Three of which we offered and clearly wanted. This will definitely be a problem for Michigan, especially with only Bridges and maybe Langford being a one-and-done. Thoughts?
yeah, they're going to be tough as long as Izzo is there. That's what makes beating them so much more gratifying!

Beilein coaches talent up, Izzo coaches talent down…in the end it’s a balanced matchup usually.

1 Like

I had heard the rumors about Bridges, which is indeed somewhat frustrating when considering that may have increased our odds with him had we landed Cassius. That said, the choice at the time was to risk another Battle/Langford situation and get hit again in the same cycle, or move on and start focusing on the next class. I would presonally never want to re-live the drama of Battle and Langford.

That said, MSU has an undeniably beastly class if Bridges does jump in. I think hard not to be top 5 in the country. We will have to see how talent vs. coaching measures up down the line.

The coming MSU juggernaut is one reason I am looking to 2015-16 as Michigan’s best chance for a really big year. This year, MSU could be very shaky with Nairn at the helm. (They will miss Trice more than they know.) Wisconsin is down, OSU is young, Indiana still has Crean, and Maryland, well, Maryland is a bit scary. But Michigan has a veteran back court and tons of depth. I think this is a year where JB’s philosophy will be tested: what can he do with a reasonably experienced, hard-working bunch of (mostly) under-the radar guys? This may be the first year where the excuses of youth, health*, and size don’t really apply at U-M. Gotta make the most of the opportunity.

(*)as of today, at least

(*)as of today, at least

I honestly feel this (team health) is the single biggest factor in having success this year. Both from the standpoint of players returning from injury, how soon can they get to 100%? And also from the standpoint of not having any significant injuries during the season. Michigan actually did pretty well with staying healthy from 2012-2014.

I was just going by JB’s comments about players being back to 100%. Also, I agree not every U-M team has had injury issues but youth has certainly been a recurrent theme – even in 2012-13 a lot of people thought it would hold the team back. (It did not – raw talent counts for a lot.)

I am not trying to say youth has not been cited by folks. Lord knows it has by sportscasters and pundits. My point is indeed only that I think health will be crucial to team success this year.

Excuses are not a problem with UM *basketball.

MSU’s talent is undeniably obvious , which, in a weird way, takes one thing out of Izzo’s bag of tricks–he will not have an easy time manipulating perceptions and expectations for his team. Everyone will have sky high expectations for MSU no matter how hard Izzo tries to downplay his teams talent or exaggerate their youth. My hope is Izzo’s team underacheives significantly, forcing Izzo to resort to the most pathetically hilarious excuses college basketball has ever seen.

Bridges to MSU. Evan daniels reported that he was UK because he thought Cassius was going UM

Should be a good matchup next year. We’ll have a lot of experience and some talent. They’re going to be loaded with superstars trying to figure out how to play with just 1 ball.

Tum Tum is going to have to figure out how to feed Eron Harris while keeping youngsters Langford, Bridges, and Davis involved.

We would have the advantage at PG (Walton/Simpson vs Nairn/Winston).
Doyle vs. Davis/Schilling would go to MSU IMO

Then the wings could be interesting. Irvin/Dawkins/Robinson/Chatman vs Harris/Langford/Bridges/Bess.

MSU is putting together a stable of talent, no doubt. They’ll be tough to beat. But we are not talent deprived, and will not be looking forward on our scholarship picture. 21-22 year olds Top 50-100 types can absolutely play with Top 20 18-19 year olds.

And don’t discount Beilein’s ability to build teams. It’s more than having the best players on the floor. Spike might be one of the best backup point guards in the country. Certainly not based on his talent or athleticism, but based on his ability to play that specific role.

MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State and now Maryland seem to be building perennially strong programs. Indiana obviously is a sleeping giant. Purdue is going to have a little run. Lots of great teams in the Big Ten. And you better believe that other fans are looking at Michigan’s recruiting and talent development and reacting like we are towards Michigan State.

Illinois just picked up a commitment from 2017 PF Jeremiah Tilmon. Five star player ranked 23rd by the composite. Aside from having to face him, I’m particularly upset because he was UNC’s top target at a position of need, which says something about how high his potential is. God I hope by some miracle we can land Jaren Jackson…

1 Like

They are going to be a pretty damn good team. Might be the best in the country if they get Goodwin.

It may not matter with Tilmon. Groce’s seat is hotter than ever and if he doesn’t make the tourney this year, he will be out.

If Goodwin commits, he’ll get extended two more years.

Tillman and Goodwin are both good players, but we’re talking here about the 29th and 53rd rated players in the country (per espn). That equates pretty closely to Charles Matthews (42nd) and Jordan Poole (54th)…and our PG recruit last year was Xavier Simpson, not Te’Jon Lucas. I haven’t seen a lot of folks here talking about extending Beilein for 2 years because of his recruiting efforts…and while I like John Groce, John Beilein can coach rings around John Groce.

Very Good and true points. But this is Illinois, not Michigan, and getting those 2 along with Williams guarantees groce will get two more years. I live in campaign and know a lot of people at the u of I, Goodwin is pretty much a two year extension at this point.