Aubrey Dawkins turning a few heads at Adidas Nations

Michigan wing Aubrey Dawkins has been a pleasant surprise so far. Super bouncy, good size, frame that should fill out, can handle a little.

— Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) August 1, 2015

How many players have scored 30 or more in a single game for Michigan? How many have done that as a freshman?

Good for Aubrey.
Such a confident shooter. No stage is too big for him.

fill out that frame, Aubrey!

So happy for Aubrey, he’s a key bench player that will rotate into being a key starter before his time at Michigan’s finished. So happy to have him on the team.

Very impressed and happy for him. His development was huge and he continues to improve.

Would love to see his handle improve to the point where he could grab some minutes at the 2 after Caris leaves. Not sure how likely that is, but it would be nice to have that flexibility without losing too much ball-handling capability.

…was there ever a reason Michigan and Dayton were the only ones after him? Not Stanford? Or hardly any other major or even mid-major teams?

confused why a 6’6" athletic shooter whose father was an All-American player/Pac12 Coach would fly under the radar.

...was there ever a reason Michigan and Dayton were the only ones after him? Not Stanford? Or hardly any other major or even mid-major teams?

confused why a 6’6" athletic shooter whose father was an All-American player/Pac12 Coach would fly under the radar.

Aubrey made comments about how difficult it is to get into Stanford academically. I think he couldn’t get in to Stanford, but I’m not positive.

I will conjecture that basketball was not a passion for Aubrey growing up. He couldn’t possibly have been a gym rat, ala Caris or Nik.
The kids dad is a college coach, former AA as a player, and a former NBA player, yet Aubrey arrives at college, after a prep year, with very limited skills. Basically all he could do was shoot the ball, and Beilein up and changed his shot too!! So in my humble opinion, either Johnny Dawkins did a poor job teaching his son how to play basketball, or his son had very little interest in developing his skills.

Couldn’t get in to Stanford. His dad has said that numerous times.

Couldn't get in to Stanford. His dad has said that numerous times.

…and the other number of teams that passed on him?

Some offseason updates from Aubrey Dawkins http://www.umhoops.com/2015/08/03/aubrey-dawkins-talks-offseason-development-at-adidas-nations/

Anywhere we can find some video of Dawkins at that adidas camp?

I’m huge on Dawkins, I’ve said this dating back a while. I am not surprised he’s making noise at this camp. I actually think he has the potential to be our number two scorer this year. There’s a lot of things I preferred about his game as a freshman than stauskas or irvin. I’m not sure he’ll be given the opportunity to be the number two guy, but in terms of pure shooter and scoring ability I really believe he could be that guy. At the very least he’s going to make a living camped in the corner while guys kick out to him. I really liked how he looked coming off screens curling on the elbow. he got great lift on those pull ups and they were automatic.

There’s just so much offensive potential on this team it’s scary. I just hope the team can figure out how to share the ball and get everybody looks. There is just so many ways we can kill u this year. Could be beleins best offensive juggernaut yet, if we share that ball and get those open looks. Last year we sat around watching levert dribble. Now I picture a lot less dribble for caris, and when he does its with a purpose to the rack like a few years ago. He’ll have space to because you can’t sag on Walton Aubrey or zach. Tough early schedule. I wish we had a few warm ups just to make sure we found a good flow, before we hit tough tests. I know though that if this team figures out how to utilize everyone that we can be tops in offensive efficiencies

I'm huge on Dawkins, I've said this dating back a while. I am not surprised he's making noise at this camp. I actually think he has the potential to be our number two scorer this year. There's a lot of things I preferred about his game as a freshman than stauskas or irvin. I'm not sure he'll be given the opportunity to be the number two guy, but in terms of pure shooter and scoring ability I really believe he could be that guy. At the very least he's going to make a living camped in the corner while guys kick out to him. I really liked how he looked coming off screens curling on the elbow. he got great lift on those pull ups and they were automatic.

There’s just so much offensive potential on this team it’s scary. I just hope the team can figure out how to share the ball and get everybody looks. There is just so many ways we can kill u this year. Could be beleins best offensive juggernaut yet, if we share that ball and get those open looks. Last year we sat around watching levert dribble. Now I picture a lot less dribble for caris, and when he does its with a purpose to the rack like a few years ago. He’ll have space to because you can’t sag on Walton Aubrey or zach. Tough early schedule. I wish we had a few warm ups just to make sure we found a good flow, before we hit tough tests. I know though that if this team figures out how to utilize everyone that we can be tops in offensive efficiencies

Exactly my thoughts. Your observation about curling around screens and hitting the mid-range shot is spot on. Tons of offensive potential. Decision making will be paramount.

I think AD is the most under emphasized player I have ever seen at UM in 45 years of following hoops. He scored over 30, how many times over 20. Didn’t turn the ball over. Can jump out of the gym. Sure he didn’t dribble or pass–anyone remember Calbert Cheney? AD can get off a shot, from deep, and make it. And you gotta believe he will improve as a rebounder and finally put down some of those follow-up slams. Didn’t come in as a highly rated guy, I get it. But per his accomplishments over the last half of season–phew! Not saying he will be a long-time NBA player, but has the tools to make a huge impact again even on a somewhat loaded deep team.

Just tempering my comments a bit as I’m not calling him the next Cheney or anything. Looked at his stats and he of course had low games and inconsistency around the double digit games, but finished frosh season strong.

He scored over 30, how many times over 20.

Twice

Yeah, it seemed like more but you’re right. Still, with the guys we have that can create space I think he is going to be open for some shots, and follow-up slams.

He can make a living with the corner thr33 ball!