Stauskas traded to 76ers -- Probably good for Nik

Apparently Nik was the incentive to get the Sixers to take a couple lousy contracts. Nik should get a lot more opportunity to show his stuff next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kings-trade-nik-stauskas--carl-landry-and-jason-thompson-to-76ers-in-salary-dump-035156725.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Puts him on the same team as GRIII, no?

The 76ers are the worst organization in the NBA currently…TANKING. For Nick’s sake I hope he gets out of there soon and has another trade coming soon… Chicago would be a great destination for him in Hoiberg’s offense or with a veteran coach like Pop or Doc or someone of that caliber.

The Sixers didn’t pick up GRIII’s option – gotta read the front page Dingo! As for the Sixers, I think it’s better than the Kings, where he wasn’t getting any time. They should have some young, decent bigs up front. And even if they are lousy, at least it’s better than being stuck on the bench for a bad team. Maybe replicate the MCW story, put up numbers there and be set up better to go elsewhere.

Still think he is a better fit for a veteran team. Eventually if he can have a career similar to that of one Steve Kerr, I think he would take that in a heartbeat. Nik is a shooter in the NBA, that is his strength, if he can play on a team with a star or two I think that ability has the chance to really shine through to have a solid career as a role player.

Still think he is a better fit for a veteran team. Eventually if he can have a career similar to that of one Steve Kerr, I think he would take that in a heartbeat. Nik is a shooter in the NBA, that is his strength, if he can play on a team with a star or two I think that ability has the chance to really shine through to have a solid career as a role player.

I always thought the same thing, which is why it was a rare instance to come back and not worry if you fall in the draft. He would be ideal on an OKC type team - team on the verge and a team where he won’t be asked to do much besides shoot.

I am not surprised McGary has had some success already - he got drafted by a good team with some star players and can slowly carve out a place on the team for himself.

One dysfunctional franchise to another. Although 76ers actually got away with murder in this trade and will help set them up for the future.

@UMHoopsFan yeah, I check the front page semi-regularly, and googled GRIII’s status after I posted, but didn’t see the need to update it for posterity’s sake.

The 76ers are the worst organization in the NBA currently...TANKING. For Nick's sake I hope he gets out of there soon and has another trade coming soon... Chicago would be a great destination for him in Hoiberg's offense or with a veteran coach like Pop or Doc or someone of that caliber.

If Sixers were Smart they would trade Stauskas immediately to Boston for Marcus Smart. They are in need of a Pg. Or they could ship him to Minnesota for Okafor best Bud, Tyus Jones and Kevin Martin.

The problem with arguing that he’d be better off in OKC is that it doesn’t work that way. It’s not about whether the Sixers are the best option for him, it’s about whether they are (1) better than the Kings and (2) a decent landing place for now. I say yes. The Sixers aren’t dysfunctional in the same way the Kings are, they actually have a very specific plan: acquire young players, keep long term flexibility re: cap space, then strike when they get good enough young talent. You may not like it, but it’s not bouncing around from idea to idea, compounding mistake after mistake, like the Kings. On the Kings, Nik didn’t play much and then played with guys like Gay and Cousins who are black holes with the ball. On the Sixers, Nik should play more and have the ball in his hands more. He’ll have a big guy with skills to work with in Okafor, Noel to cover up some of his defensive liabilities, and a team invested in him and giving him time. And while Nik’s best skills is shooting, he’s an excellent passer and pick-n-roll guy, and he should get a chance to show that in Philly. Could be a lot worse. I bet he’s thrilled.

Here’s what Wojnarowski says:
"Stauskas, 21, is a young shooting guard who the 76ers targeted in the deal as the incentive to take on the Landry and Thompson contracts. Multiple teams had inquired about Stauskas . . . Stauskas is still considered a good, young NBA prospect, and he’ll get a broader opportunity to play with the Sixers.

The 76ers are the worst organization in the NBA currently...TANKING. For Nick's sake I hope he gets out of there soon and has another trade coming soon... Chicago would be a great destination for him in Hoiberg's offense or with a veteran coach like Pop or Doc or someone of that caliber.

If Sixers were Smart they would trade Stauskas immediately to Boston for Marcus Smart. They are in need of a Pg. Or they could ship him to Minnesota for Okafor best Bud, Tyus Jones and Kevin Martin.

No way that Minny would trade Tyus Jones, hometown kid, fan base is excited which is a rarity in Minny. They may be able to get Rubio, but I doubt you get Rubio and Martin.

The fact that someone thinks a team would trade Stauskas for Marcus Smart is ludicrous. Boston would never make that trade. Smart is one of the Celtics best pieces currently who they used the 6th overall pick on him. Smart is an NBA starter, Nik as much as I love that he played at UM, he is a role player because he is a defensive liability so that makes him a non-starter for the foreseeable future at least on a good team. Boston made the playoffs FYI.

The fact that someone thinks a team would trade Stauskas for Marcus Smart is ludicrous. Boston would never make that trade. Smart is one of the Celtics best pieces currently who they used the 6th overall pick on him. Smart is an NBA starter, Nik as much as I love that he played at UM, he is a role player because he is a defensive liability so that makes him a non-starter for the foreseeable future at least on a good team. Boston made the playoffs FYI.

I agree. But last I looked Smart had come up in trade talks. It seems Boston is willing to Listen to offers. I’m sure Philly could come up with a package Boston would like that would most likely have to include Stauskas. IJS

As we have heard over the years in pro sports, almost every team listens to offers on nearly every player. The poster above just stated a straight up trade with Smart for Stauskas and that boys and girls is just not plausible.

I’m not sure at all the Sixers would trade Stauskas for Smart. It doesn’t really matter that Smart was the 6th pick, as Nik was the 8th pick, and as that’s old news. The Sixers got rid of MCW, so maybe they don’t want PGs who can’t shoot. To say that Smart is “a starter” is a red herring – if Nik starts in Philly he’s a starter – and Smart played less than Bradley and Thomas in the playoffs. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nik was a starter next year and Smart wasn’t. Nik didn’t shoot that well last year, but he’s still a good bet to be a dead-eye shooter long term and the league knows it. Neither Nik nor Smart is going to be a superstar, and Nik may have better long term potential as a nice piece. At the least, though, people here seem to be overrating Smart’s value. Anyway, it will be interesting to revisit this top next year.

Yes I look forward to it. Bottom line I said as of right now it would be ludicrous to think BOS would trade Smart for Stauskas straight up. That’s all, I’m out.