Tyus Battle Decommits

Wow this is such a blow. Wondering what happened. It seemed like such a good fit. I’m guessing we wouldn’t take a recommit down the line. Hopefully the rumors of Langford being disappointed by the Battle commitment ring true. On to Langford but for now let the negativity flow!

Is anyone truly surprised? I mean deep down, truly believed we were going to hold on to him for a full year?

I honestly didn’t think he would de-commit.
I was surprised at the verbal so soon, but after his parents comments, I didn’t think he would back out. I’m pretty pissed about it. It’s a joke.

His Twitter still says Michigan Commit. Hopefully this is something getting blown up and out of proportion. Doesn’t look good…hoping Langford jumps on board if true. Getting the feeling though this is coming from his father who never seemed on board with the Mich commit and his mother supposedly wanted Duke.

And his Twitter pic still shows him in a Mich jersey.

His Twitter still says Michigan Commit. Hopefully this is something getting blown up and out of proportion. Doesn't look good....hoping Langford jumps on board if true. Getting the feeling though this is coming from his father who never seemed on board with the Mich commit and his mother supposedly wanted Duke.

Yeah, unfortunately that’s kinda my take on things as well.

Is this Joe Crawford all over again? You never know what a 16-18 yr old kid will do. Hopefully he makes the best decision for himself. It’s not out of the question he recommits to UM, James Blackmon did so with IU, it happens but certinaly the gut reaction to this is it doesn’t look good and we are struggling in recruiting again if we do not get Battle and no Langford either.

Jerry Meyer says he would be more surprised if Tyus Battle didn’t commit to Syracuse this weekend than if he did. What an absolutely brutal blow. I really, really don’t understand the appeal of Syracuse. Boeheim is retiring soon, they just got a boat load of serious violations, including ineligible players, academic misconduct, improper benefits, and failure to enforce their drug policy, and Syracuse as a town is depressing, to say the least. Do kids even understand the word “commitment” these days? Puzzling…

If it opens a spot for Langford down the road, then count me in, but right now this is just brutal. Recruiting is so frustrating.

I completely agree with Wolverine4. I’m not counting him out until he changes his twitter account and signs with a college. I also agree that his family is a huge part of this as well.

On another note, this news coupled with loosing Devin Booker has taught me 3 things:

1. I’m burned out on the recruiting process.
  2. I’m also glad JB does not offer scholarships to younger kids like everyone else.
  3. We might need to focus on players near Ann Arbor first and talent secondly.
I completely agree with Wolverine4. I'm not counting him out until he changes his twitter account and signs with a college. I also agree that his family is a huge part of this as well.

On another note, this news coupled with loosing Devin Booker has taught me 3 things:

1. I’m burned out on the recruiting process.

2. I’m also glad JB does not offer scholarships to younger kids like everyone else.

3. We might need to focus on players near Ann Arbor first and talent secondly.

• Agree generally, not burned out on recruiting per se, but burned out on all the doom and gloom associated with recruiting when things don’t go perfectly.

• Agreed 100%, but that doesn’t make it any less hard when a kid they started recruiting in 8th Grade (Booker) drops everything when another school comes calling

• Think you need a mix still. Good to fill spots, but right now we do have two kids in the 2016 class in Davis and Teske who are both from near Ann Arbor relatively speaking. Battle or Langford would definitely qualify as focusing on “talent” after securing some spots.

• At least Battle dropped us now rather than a week before signing day. That would really sting. I hope JB is done with him. You can’t rely on kids like this.

I never understand why kids commit then decommit a few days later…

I get there are good salesmen in the industry but you’re talking about a MAJOR life decision. Shouldn’t you be 100% positive when you pull the trigger?

I never understand why kids commit then decommit a few days later...

I get there are good salesmen in the industry but you’re talking about a MAJOR life decision. Shouldn’t you be 100% positive when you pull the trigger?

Well you want to hold a spot. Look at Seth Towns. Even if he wanted to commit to OSU or Michigan, there isn’t a spot for him because he waited so long. Always talk about a bird in hand is better from a coaching perspective, but it can also ring true for players.

I had a feeling this would occur. I wasn’t happy he signed so early, I just thought it reeked of a rash decision/decommit. I am not that upset though as I believe that rahkman as a junior will be a better player than battle as a frosh. Maar and Dawkins would both be better I believe in 2016 and 2017, I still have a ton of faith in those two to take over. Also I’m still predicting a final four in next two years. Mark it dude.

Well you want to hold a spot. Look at Seth Towns. Even if he wanted to commit to OSU or Michigan, there isn’t a spot for him because he waited so long. Always talk about a bird in hand is better from a coaching perspective, but it can also ring true for players.

I guess. But in this case…what opportunity suddenly came up that he didn’t have before?
    Syracuse? I thought he already had his chance with them if he wanted it previously before visiting Michigan.

I guess. But in this case…what opportunity suddenly came up that he didn’t have before?
    Syracuse? I thought he already had his chance with them if he wanted it previously before visiting Michigan.

But maybe he was worried about his spot with Michigan? Or Syracuse is offering him a chance to play more lead guard? Or they weren’t 100% sure they’d have a spot for him with their limited scholarships. Who knows.

But my comment was more in general than specifically regarding Battle.

I think he sees the logjam at guard for us. Walton rahkman and Dawkins in 2016. He wasn’t going to handle the rock to much. On the other hand cuse guards r trash and he can immediate

Immediately play.

I think he sees the logjam at guard for us. Walton rahkman and Dawkins in 2016. He wasn't going to handle the rock to much. On the other hand cuse guards r trash and he can immediate

Rahkman and Dawkins are not a threat to Battle. No 1 and done type talent is looking at Michigan’s guards thinking “I wonder if I’ll play ahead of them”