Proposed rule changes

#MBBRules Committee proposes reducing shot clock to 30 seconds with eye on increasing possessions and pace of play. pic.twitter.com/o5IgWevUky

— NCAA March Madness (@marchmadness) May 15, 2015

#MBBRules Committee proposes rules with goal of reducing physicality in the sport. pic.twitter.com/XW0iwZNeCN

#MBBRules Committee proposes changes related to timeouts. pic.twitter.com/qrGYSL8tk7

Other #MBBRules proposals include eliminating coach-called live ball timeouts and 10 second backcourt timer will not reset with timeout.

More #MBBRules proposals: Hanging on rim technical reduced to 1 shot; elimination of 5-second closely guarded; allow pregame warmup dunking.

All good stuff…I know the 30 sec and Timeouts will get the most pub but I’m especially happy to see the ‘Strict Enforcement of Defensive Rules’.

Like we saw in 2013-14 there will be a ton of fouls early in the season but as coaches and teams adjust, the game should really open up.

I like the changes all the way around.

Appears the priority is to speed up the game…in other words more like the NBA. I love it, it will be more imperative than ever to have good athleticism. Will benefit UM from finesse point of view, but speeding up the game will probably have a negative impact. All in all, a wash for UM.

I don’t necessarily agree that ‘speeding’ up the game will hurt UM…and frankly, I don’t think moving to the 30 second clock will speed the game all that much…the results from the NIT suggested a minimal increase in pace(albeit a small sample size).

I don't necessarily agree that 'speeding' up the game will hurt UM...and frankly, I don't think moving to the 30 second clock will speed the game all that much...the results from the NIT suggested a minimal increase in pace(albeit a small sample size).

I do think it will hurt us from the standpoint that we typically run a very methodical offense as opposed to a transition heavy team. Less time to execute combined with below average athleticism does not favor us in my opinion.

I don't necessarily agree that 'speeding' up the game will hurt UM...and frankly, I don't think moving to the 30 second clock will speed the game all that much...the results from the NIT suggested a minimal increase in pace(albeit a small sample size).

I do think it will hurt us from the standpoint that we typically run a very methodical offense as opposed to a transition heavy team. Less time to execute combined with below average athleticism does not favor us in my opinion.

I would also add with a 30 second shot clock Michigan might be asked to play defense for more possessions in a game and defense isn’t exactly a trademark for Michigan.

Strict enforcement of the defensive rules would be a huge boon for us - particularly in conference, and double particularly against State and Wisconsin. I like it.

I would also add with a 30 second shot clock Michigan might be asked to play defense for more possessions in a game and defense isn't exactly a trademark for Michigan.

All that matters is whether the gap between our offense and their defense is bigger than the gap between our defense and their offense. As long as our offense is just that good, then more possessions will help.

I’ve been trying to think about whether the shot clock would be good or bad for Michigan. I know Beilein is against it, but I wonder if that’s more just because he’s against change.

Good offense is still good offense and Michigan runs good offense. I don’t think scoring in 30 seconds is that much different than 35.

I wonder if we’ll see more gimmick defenses and zones across college basketball with a shorter shot clock though.

I disagree with both Matt and ASF. The 30 second clock will have a negligible effect. I don’t think we are going to all of sudden see all these teams flying up and down the court and/or UM struggling to get shots off before the shot clock expires.

The most important of the rule proposals, IMO, is the strict enforcement of defensive rules. The off the ball chucking, hand checking, etc will clean the game up.

I see 30 shot clock as an advantage to M. Protecting the ball with good fundamentals is where they excel. Late clock situations and getting looks should be a strength.
30 second shot clock could also benefit M by creating more transition opportunities, an area M can be lethal.

I can hear Izzo crying from here.

I can hear Izzo crying from here.

See this is what I think will whatever the defensive strict enforcement changes temporary at best, because coaches like Izzo, Ryan, and Matta will all cry foul (pun intended). We may find these very same rules overturned 2 seasons from now. I agree I’d like to see the strict defensive enforcement stick though just for a more enjoyable viewing experience.

I've been trying to think about whether the shot clock would be good or bad for Michigan. I know Beilein is against it, but I wonder if that's more just because he's against change.

Good offense is still good offense and Michigan runs good offense. I don’t think scoring in 30 seconds is that much different than 35.

I wonder if we’ll see more gimmick defenses and zones across college basketball with a shorter shot clock though.

I think we will see token pressure or should. If token pressure forces teams 5 to 6 seconds to get over the time line teams are only having 24 seconds to get a shot off just like the NBA.

Teams already do the token pressure thing…I think the change we will see as a result of the change to 30 secs is teams won’t walk the ball up the court nearly as much as they do now. I’m not saying they will race it up the floor but there will be a more sense of urgency from coaches to get the ball up into the halfcourt quicker.

And the NBA guys typically have under 18-20 secs to run offense if you factor them bringing the ball up into the halfcourt. 24 secs or so is more than enough time to run through a an offensive set with multiple options, reads and passes.

One thing I wish would be addressed is the free timeout teams receive whenever there is an official replay or stoppage. The players on the floor should have to stand at the opposite end of the court from their respective benches during the entire stoppage. If teams want to talk to their players during this time they should have to burn one of their timeouts.

I like the timeout adjustments the most. Speeds up the length of time of the game without necessarily hurrying the possessions.

I also think moving the charge line out another foot is going to put an even more premium on shot blocking. A smaller, quicker center that can slide over to take a charge now has a harder task.

Be interesting to see if Beilein uses the 1-3-1 and/or the 1-3-1 3/4 Ct Matchup zone more with the shorter shot clock.

…and definitely need guys that can get their own shot.