Could Walton's role change dramatically?

With Caris staying could Walton’s minutes and role change in a major way? I think it is very possible that Caris will play more minutes at the point meaning Walton could struggle to get minutes at the 2 especially if Irvin or MAAR have a hot hand.

Would it be possible that he plays more minutes with the 2nd five coming off the bench similar to Kentucky?

I’d say it’s incredibly unlikely that Walton will be benched in favor of Rahk

Why would LeVert play pg and Walton play the 2? This has never even been rumored to be a possibility.

Because the history of the Coach B offense is that it runs better when a multi threat player is at the point, and Caris is more of a threat to do all things that are positive for this offense than Walton.

Caris is better at taking it to the rim which helps create space along the perimeter. He also runs the PNR better. He also knocks down the 3 ball with more regularity. And probably would do as good a job defending the point.

I think Walton will get all the minutes he can handle. Coach B trusts Walton.
My only concern with Walton is his foot. If Walton’s minutes are limited, I think it would be for precautionary means, not because Caris is playing the point.
I hope we don’t see anybody getting 35 minutes a night.

Yeah, I am predicting right now that we will never see a lineup with caris at the 1 and Walton at the 2.

I think Walton will get all the minutes he can handle. Coach B trusts Walton. My only concern with Walton is his foot. If Walton's minutes are limited, I think it would be for precautionary means, not because Caris is playing the point. I hope we don't see anybody getting 35 minutes a night.

Yeah, Beilein really uses his starters, so I’d like to see him rest them a bit more. There’s been some talk about a war for minutes and some of the people getting frustrated, but one of the things the depth can do is allow for some guys to play 30-33 minutes as opposed to 35. Times five, that’s upwards to 25 more minutes of availability. Split, say, three ways, that’s 8 minutes per person. I’m not saying we’d have only 3 guys off the bench total, but that many could end up being the beneficiaries of more minutes.

If Walton’s minutes go down, Spike might be the replacement, not Caris.

Walton is a good SOLID pg when healthy, he just needs to focus on getting healthy again first and foremost. If we get Jaylen Brown, I’m not sure how the starting lineup works out. Let’s not forget one of main reasons GR3 left early was because he didn’t want to play the stretch 4. I can’t blame him on that, he wanted to be on the wing playing the SF position which he was slotted for on the next level. How that dynamic works with Irvin or Brown playing the 4 is interesting because it helps the team but doesn’t help their individual development as it pertains to playing in the Association.

I don’t think Jaylen will want to play the 4, I’d slot Irvin in there if that’s what it takes to get Mr. Brown.

Irvin will start at 4, dawkins will start at 3 unless brown will be on board.

I agree with that…I do feel that KAM is going to be the most improved player on the team next year…I expect a huge jump.

Because the history of the Coach B offense is that it runs better when a multi threat player is at the point, and Caris is more of a threat to do all things that are positive for this offense than Walton.

Caris is better at taking it to the rim which helps create space along the perimeter. He also runs the PNR better. He also knocks down the 3 ball with more regularity. And probably would do as good a job defending the point.

Really makes no sense. It’s not like Levert can’t play the two and be the primary ball handler, like he was last year, or Stauskus the year before.

Walton is probably the best on ball defender on the team as well.

Walton wasn’t relegated to the bench when he was a true freshman with both Stauskus and Levert being the primary handlers, not sure why you think he would be now.

Walton played PG just 2 years ago on one the best offenses in recent history.

A few points to be considered in the discussion.

• As many have mentioned he often played off the ball when others were the primary ball handler such as Stauskas. The difference next year will be the depth of the line up and the skill set that depth presents.
  • The emergence of MAAR, does anyone really expect him to be play only 5-8 minutes a game?
  • The ability of Dawkins to be Michigan’s version of Vinnie the “microwave” Johnson adding instant offense. Coach B has always been a fan of feeing the hot hand…what if he improves his handle as THjr did his Sophomore season?
  • The huge steps forward that Irvin made at the end of the season in all aspects of the game including is handle.
  • The addition of a supposed great shooter in Robinson could move some of the guys who have played the stretch 4 down a notch or two to their more natural positions at 2 or 3.
  • Where do Chatman’s and Wilson’s minutes come from and at what position?
  • What about Wagner? Is he a redshirt candidate?

All in all just my take is that all the added depth due to last years development of those we did not expect to get a lot of minutes plus the return of Caris could lead to far fewer minutes for Walton.

Just my take but hey that is why it is called a discussion…

If Brown comes than Walton’s role on offense will be similar to what it was his freshman season - spot up shooter with penetrating abilities on the wing. If Brown doesn’t, Walton will have the ball in his hands quite a bit.

You overestimate the improvements Irvin made as a ball handler. He’s capable now, but his new-found ability to handle the ball is more of a weapon for us as a wing than a primary ball handler. Because as a primary ball handler, he’s still below average. As a secondary ball handler, he’s above average. Just like how Walton was a weapon on offense last year because he wasn’t asked to have the ball in his hands due to Nik and Caris, but still possessed his PG handling abilities.

As for MAAR taking alot of Walton’s minutes, I don’t see it happening. MAAR showed us alot last year. But he hasn’t shown the ability to shoot and hasn’t really shown distributing skills. When MAAR drove, most times he kept the ball himself. Walton is a better shooter and and a better distributor. I think his minutes depend more on how healthy Spike is than they do on Walton. Will also depend on if Brown comes. If Brown does, he and Caris are going to have the ball in their hands most of the time. And Walton and Spike will still get time because they can play off the ball with their shooting ability. MAAR hasn’t shown that. MAAR may only get that 5 minutes a game. MAAR’s time will come though.

It amazes me how Michigan fans think Walton isn’t good enough. MAAR has nothing on Walton. Some of you must realize that Walton had turf toe 85% of the year and should of been shut down when he went 0-9(or something like that) it was clear the toe was hurting his play. As mentioned above he is by far our best defender.

Pratt did anyone say that Walton was not good enough?

I don’t agree with the notion that Walton will be moved off the ball or have his minutes reduced.

Before his injury last year, he was playing really well. Caris may be more adept at the pick-and-roll, but he’s far fr an ideal primary ballhandler. Irvin certainly improved his dribble game, but again, it’s now just at an average level. When we fast break, Walton will be the guy pushing it up the floor because he’s the fastest player with the best court vision. And in the halfcourt, he’s the best option when we need someone to drive, draw defenders and dish. I love Spike, but on a really good team his best role is backup PG, playing 10-15 minutes a game, much like what he did in our 2013 tourney run (when he was great).

A lot depends on Walton’s and Spike’s health. If they are not 100% (certainly a possibility) I can see MAAR playing a lot of minutes at PG, plus a few backing up LeVert. In the unfortunate event that Spike takes a RS, I could see MAAR playing 15 minutes a game. Even if he’s not on Walton’s level as a shooter and distributor, he excels at getting to the rim and is a capable defender, so I wouldn’t worry about much drop-off when he’s in the game. The depth of the team this year should mean much less use of the 2 PG lineup, which I think would be a good thing (was never a fan of that).

Ace, when I read all over the Internet this notion that Caris should be the 1 and MAAR and Spike should be getting more minutes it’s a direct reflection that people think Walton isn’t good enough.

Walton is the PG unless foul trouble dictates otherwise.

Walton was a starting PG for an elite eight (almost final four) team as a freshman. No way his role changes now. I expect the same starting lineup except Dawkins instead of Chatman to start the season