Austin Davis Commits to Michigan

Onsted, Mich big man picks Michigan

What. The. F…

Current 2016-17 roster has 2 guards and 0 scholarships to add more. Wooh!

Awful roster balance to say the least. Don’t know what the heck Beilien is thinking. four centers. four power forwards. better hope for no injuries in teh backcourt or we’ll be playing walkons at point guard just like this year.

he must have been offered today…I hadn’t heard of an offer prior.

Taking him along with Teske seems odd. We have all for the most part been wishing we recruited more size and it appears we are definitely doing that. From what I’ve read Davis seems to be a solid rebounder but haven’t watched much footage on him. Opinions from those who have?

Current 2016-17 roster has 2 guards and 0 scholarships to add more. Wooh!

Doing his own Spring Creaning next year? Someone HAS to be leaving.

Beilein called him today and he committed an hour later.

Whyyyy??

He was offered this afternoon. Maybe somebody (Donnal?) decided to leave following the banquet? Maybe more two big sets. Maybe we move guys like Robinson and Chatman to the 2 and 3. Def seems odd right now.

Now I know I get a lot of flack for being a negative nancy, but this is ridiculous. You take a project, at a spot with a clear logjam, before waiting it out for more talented players at positions where we desperately need bodies and talent in the future.

Just poor recruiting, plain and simple.

Chatman can’t play the 2 or 3 if he’s shooting 19% from 3.

Now I know how Matt feels on regular basis. What the heck is the staff thinking??

Now I know I get a lot of flack for being a negative nancy, but this is ridiculous. You take a project, at a spot with a clear logjam, before waiting it out for more talented players at positions where we desperately need bodies and talent in the future.

Just poor recruiting, plain and simple.

Don’t think anyone’s gonna disagree on this. Why offer a marginal prospect so early?

I can’t do anything but laugh at this. Please tell me this is a prank?

My parents live in Onsted, my Dad played Division one basketball and use to scout for the OVC up here. He’s seen this kid many times. I just called him up and told him Davis committed to Michigan. He goes “really? That kid has a trouble getting up and down the floor. Last I saw him, he had a ways to go to be a B1G basketball player”

He then went on to say that he is young and there is a lot of potential in him. You can’t teach that size and natural strength.

For me, I see MSU getting Swannigan and just shake my head at this development.

This is the type of thing that makes me think we will always be competitive under JB, but never truly have a championship ceiling again. I just don’t think the guy can recruit well enough.

Something has to be coming in the way of the roster.

So roster breakdown would have Teske and Davis taking Spike and Caris scholarship spots correct? So even if Caris leaves for the draft this year (don’t believe he is) we would not have a spot for Jaylen Brown or Kenny Williams now if I’m correct. That would leave us with possibly Walton, Rak, and Irvin capable in the backcourt. Even if any of them blew up and went pro after next year were very thin in the backcourt with replacements. Not to mention will any of the prospects were looking at wait to make commitments until this time next year.

I have to believe the coaching staff believes will see some transfers in the front court at some point in the next yr, Wagner might have issues coming over and that scholarship will open back up, or Hatch will move to a medical at some point. Transfers after next season would still leave our recruits playing the waiting game on us, I’d be surprised if Wagner would be offered if they weren’t sure he would be clear to come over, and I believe they don’t want to move Hatch to medical but something has to give.

Being how Beilein and the staff are perimeter and guard oriented I would be shocked going into the season after next with only 3 possible guards.

Trust Belein right guys. He gets to the NC game with great guard play so let’s do the exact opposite.

Guys, I’m serious when I say this, and even being a bit conservative - how the heck are we going to be an upper tier B10 team 2 years from now based on talent and athleticism? I just don’t see any possible way considering we have no scholarship availability.

2 Likes
Guys, I'm serious when I say this, and even being a bit conservative - how the heck are we going to be an upper tier B10 team 2 years from now based on talent and athleticism? I just don't see any possible way considering we have no scholarship availability.

That’s just it. Everyone keeps dwelling on the past and thinks everything will be okay going forward. All signs are pointing to a mediocre roster in 2016-2017. Mediocre being generous. There are a lot of good players out there and a handful of elite players out there and none of them are committing to Michigan which means Michigan will have to play against them. I don’t care how good of a coach JB is, you still need the horses.

I’m still stunned by this.

also I’m guessing the staff didn’t see Austin committing right away

even if there’s room, why? we could get him later if options A,B,C, and D all fall through.

Is Beilein planning on playing 2 bigs? Are we losing Teske?

13 scholarships…where are the playmakers?