It is far too early to give up on Kam Chatman

One thing to remember about Kam is that he’s young – almost a full year younger than Dawkins, 21 months younger than MAAR. That can make a big difference. Doyle, who’s also very young, has scored more than 4 points only one time in the last ten games. A year of maturity and an offseason in the weight-room will help these guys tremendously. Kam often makes 3/4 of a nice play – e.g., a shot fake, getting to the middle of the defense – and then can’t complete it. After getting bigger and stronger, and having experienced college hoops for a year, things could be very different next year. And he will also benefit from having a healthy, complete team. Some of his skills are harder to take advantage of on such a depleted, inexperienced roster.

Totally agree with you. In hindsight, Kam should have redshirted, but that idea would have seemed crazy at the beginning of the season.

Yes, its way to early to give up on him. I have been critical, but realize its not always automatic and like you said he is young.

Another thing on the ages, Caris Levert is only 5 days older than MAAR. So I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that he and Dawkins made their presence felt earlier and moreso when the injuries derailed our top guys.

I take age into account as well, but I don’t think its as big a factor as we (myself included) make it. To put this in context, Zach Levine is younger than Maverick Rowan.

We will know next season what we have or don’t have with Kam.

We will have an idea this summer if he is serious about getting better. If he’s serious about his game, he won’t leave AA.

We will know next season what we have or don't have with Kam.

We will have an idea this summer if he is serious about getting better. If he’s serious about his game, he won’t leave AA.

He is most likely serious about his game, it is just a matter of if he has the talent and what it takes to play for a team in a conference like the big ten.

Bottom line for me is that in order for Kam to be a good fit on this team he has to adjut his game to be able to play without the ball in his hands as a playmaker. In other words, he is going to have to accept the fact that his role on this team for next year is going to be a corner shooter, and baseline finisher, with the occasional pick and roll or isolation situation. His jumpshot and effort level/physicality when finishing have to improve exponentially in order for him to be effective. Even if he makes a pretty sizeable improvement on his jumpshot, that would probably put him in the below average range.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Kam look elsewhere for a better fit where he will be allowed to have the ball in his hands in more of playmaking role. I don’t necessarily think a 4 in this offense is a great fit for him unless we’re posting him up where he can use his court vision when the weakside double comes.

I agree that understanding his role on the team is necessary for Kam to get comfortable. As Dylan noted, Kam can get into the lane, but he usually ends up forcing up a contested, off balance shot. He’s not reading the defense and reacting when help comes by passing or kicking out, or just pulling up for a short jumper. He’s very erratic on the corner threes, so I’m not sure that having him spot up will work. One more point that’s applicable to all of our forwards and wings is that we just don’t pump fake regularly on close outs. It’s a simple thing but Dawkins, Irvin and Chatman don’t do it.

I think that Coach B is working well with him. He said a week or two ago that he is not being asked to do too much and he needs to regain focus. It is good that he is not being asked to do much so he can attempt to regroup and get back into the swing of things. He needs to gain confidence in himself first. He defiantly has the tools and the right coaching in his favor.

Reminds me of the freshman years of DMo and Peedi. Just unsure of himself and overwhelmed. I think a year of added maturity, strength and understanding of the offense will do wonders for him. I actually think he could be a big contributor next season.

Not giving up on him but my expectations are low.

It’s not the mistakes that get me, it’s the lack of “dog” in his game.
I thought GRIII was too easy going. Where’s the grit? Determination?
He looks totally defeated.

Hopefully he sticks around. Gets bigger and stronger and slowly builds his confidence.

I’m sure an off season of maturity and training will help (how couldn’t it?)
But I’m not getting my hopes up he’ll turn into an overnight sensation or anything like that. Just hope he can be more productive and contribute next year.

**I’ll also add…the team as a WHOLE isn’t great. Put Kam in a lineup of Burke, Stauskas, and THj and I would like to think he’d “look” better. We don’t have a group that makes others around them better right now. The group needs to improve as a whole as much as the individuals.

One thing to remember about Kam is that he's young -- almost a full year younger than Dawkins, 21 months younger than MAAR. That can make a big difference. Doyle, who's also very young, has scored more than 4 points only one time in the last ten games. A year of maturity and an offseason in the weight-room will help these guys tremendously. Kam often makes 3/4 of a nice play -- e.g., a shot fake, getting to the middle of the defense -- and then can't complete it. After getting bigger and stronger, and having experienced college hoops for a year, things could be very different next year. And he will also benefit from having a healthy, complete team. Some of his skills are harder to take advantage of on such a depleted, inexperienced roster.

The difference is that with Doyle you can see the potential. I have seen nothing from Kam to suggest he can play at the major conference level. Nothing

The difference is that with Doyle you can see the potential. I have seen nothing from Kam to suggest he can play at the major conference level. Nothing

I have, and I’d suggest the Nova through Syracuse three-game stretch if you’d like to try. Also, as I said, his best skills are harder to see on this roster. MAAR can take it one-on-one. Dawkins can shoot jumpers. These are skills JB can take advantage of more easily when the offense isn’t flowing as a whole. Kam has skills, at his size, which could make him very successful and make everyone around him better. And JB will maximize these skills. As JB said last year, there were plenty of opportunities on the floor, and Nik, Caris, and GRIII all had a lot of time to show what they could do. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed that Kam will blow up next year like Darius Morris did his sophomore year, and the roster might not call for him to do it anyway, but I’ve seen enough to suggest he could look much better next year and be a real player down the road.

I think this is a bit of hyperbole. Kam has shown flashes during the year. As the player in the middle of the zone on offense against 'Cuse. As a player who can take a big to the bucket off the dribble (caveats about finishing when he gets there). He has shown flashes, maybe not top-50 player flashes, but nothing? That’s a stretch

kam with a little more confidence could easily drive left off a screen and take it to the whole or kick it out very effectively, he already attempts to do this occasionally. You can literally see him thinking about what to do next which is his problem right now.

No reason to keep beating this point, an off season and another year of maturity and understanding he can only become more effective.

Hopefully he is a determined and focused young man that wants to put in the necessary work.

Repeating what others have said, if you haven’t seen anything from Kam, you haven’t been watching all season. I’ve liked a few glimpses. He is a potential big miss match playing the four because of his ability to drive. Or he’s a miss match at the three or two because of his size. He’s just gotta sharpen his skills and not hesitate. There’s been many times where he’s made the right decision, he was just a smidge late with it and is forced into a tougher shot than he should have had in the first place. Kid is just overwhelmed right now with the speed of the game and trying to recognize what to do on offense.

Defense needs a hell of a lot of work though. Off ball, he is just yikes.

You can tell he has game. He just isn’t comfortable in the offense yet. Too much time thinking about what to do instead of just doing it. As someone else said, if he wants it bad enough, he will get there.

I am as harsh a critic as any when it comes to Kam, but giving up on him is not an option IMO. Do I have concerns his game is a match for this offense heck yes. Am I concerned with his demeanor when he struggles heck yes. All kids do not adapt to the next level at the same rate. I am more concerned that Kam gives up on Michigan than I am that Michigan gives up on him.

He really had a good game today. Do not understand why he got very little minutes in the second half after really playing well in the first half.

Ok Kam shows size and a decent handle. But today his nice first half was negated by a bricked 3 and a TO in the second half. But at least he was assertive.