Tidbits from Michigan Assistant Coaches on WTKA with Webb

Feel free to check out the podcast yourself, it was some good stuff as usual

http://www.wtka.com/page.php?page_id=87

• According to Coaches Vall, Meyer, and Alexander, they have been hearing people call Muhammad “Rock” or “Rahk” for his name in practice. Lets get on those signs for the Maize Rage if you are in there people.

• They listed Mark Donnal as 6-9 1/2 and D.J. Wilson as 6-9 3/4 with 7-2 wingspan. They also said D.J. has put on 35 pounds since hitting campus

• More on D.J.: he has been taking practice reps both on the wing and in the center. They say that he has been able to move his feet well against the guards on defense.

• Duncan Robinson “is on the radar screen” for breaking the shooting drill record set by Nik, but they want to temper expectations for now

Would encourage everyone to check it out. I expect these sound bytes will probably permeate through the media outlets before too long.

Thanks DB

I get the feeling our bigs (obviously) will need some work.
If I had to guess, I’d say

Donnal needs to work on consistency.
Big Rick needs to work on fluidity.
DJ needs to settle into a role/position.

They made it sound like Aubrey would tail Zak. Does that leave minutes for DJ at the 4 spot?

They made it sound like Aubrey would tail Zak. Does that leave minutes for DJ at the 4 spot?

I am personally hoping that none of the freshmen get redshirted (aside from maybe Austin). I think the potential added center depth with Wilson being able to play the 5 in a pinch is pretty valuable. Especially when you are trying to run two first year B1G players at center. Chances are they will rack up fouls, and having a safety valve in the form of Wilson as at least a body you can put it is not anything to sneeze at.

EDIT: yes I know Bielfeldt also is a walking 5 foul center, I am just considering the case where we go beyond him at the 5.

I get the feeling our bigs (obviously) will need some work. If I had to guess, I'd say

Donnal needs to work on consistency.
Big Rick needs to work on fluidity.
DJ needs to settle into a role/position.

My guess is that Irvin, Chatman and Dawkins will complete the 3-4 rotation, with Irvin plays both positions.

It sounds like that DJ is the least prepared at either 4-5. He probably will not play much early on.

I just finished listening to the whole thing. My comments:

• Great to hear the enthusiasm for Duncan Robinson

• They really don’t seem excited about Mark Donnal. This just reinforced my sense that Doyle will be the starter by the start of the Big 10 season, if not sooner.

• Assuming he doesn’t get injured again, I expect DJ Wilson to average more minutes than Donnal, because he will be backing up both the forward and center postions