2016 Wing Recruiting (Ibi Watson)

Tired of putting stuff in assorted notes, here is a thread dedicated to non PGs and non combo forwards

#Michigan bball w/ 3 coaches (John Beilein/LaVall Jordan/Jeff Meyer) seeing 2016 5-star SG Josh Langford in Alabama http://t.co/wr4huCQjBC

— Kyle Bogenschutz (@KyleBogie) September 16, 2014

Staff stopped by to check in on Langford

Michigan and Michigan State Visit 2016 5 star Josh Langford.

— Rodney Romero (@DrivenHoops) September 11, 2014

@dcassilo West Virginia is showing major interest and Frankie Hughes

— Sonny Johnson (@sonnyjohnson32) September 18, 2014

Langford’s recruitment is blowing up recently, this is where we’ll find out if we’re a serious player or not

Kentucky was in to see 2016 Madison Academy (AL) guard Joshua Langford yesterday @hoopseen

— Garrett Tucker (@GTuckerHoops) September 24, 2014

#Michigan head coach John Beilein is in gym watching 6'4 2016 Frankie Hughes at Garfield Hts

— Rodger Bohn (@rodgerbohn) September 25, 2014

I think this could be Hughes’ first high major offer

According to @Evan_Flood, #Gophers also offered Ohio SG Frankie Hughes, teammate of 3-star SF Willie Jackson as well. http://t.co/lfRIYNUKMk

— Kyle Goblirsch (@Gobie247) October 7, 2014

Battle will trim list to 10-12 within a few months, likely to include UM

A fan of Guy, but once we got Robinson, pretty much shut to the door to any “just shooters”. Looks like the staff is targeting more elite, multi-talented players like Dozier, Langford, etc…no complaints from me

Kyle Guy has committed to Virginia

— Brian Snow (@BSnowScout) October 20, 2014

Bruce Brown looks to be a legit 6’6 in this pic…don’t know how serious our interest is, but I definitely think this kid is an elite talent at that size. As a 6’3 shooting guard he had some questions about shooting ability, but at 6’6 he’s a really, really good player that is a good athlete with a good handle, and plays strong.

On the other hand…what the hell was Jalen Rose doing at Providence Midnight Madness? Is anyone aware of a potential affiliation? That is one thing I don’t like about UM in general…we don’t seem to invite our former players back with the same open arms that other programs do. Obviously Jalen is a bit different because of the scars left by the Fab 5, but just in general

@thebabc '16 Bruce Brown & '18 Shandon Brown W/ @JalenRose at @PCAthletics Midnight Madness. @BruceBrown11 @1click_ pic.twitter.com/z4lw6xN0WO

— Coach Shawn D Brown (@CoachBrown012) October 19, 2014

I heard Jalen on one of his podcasts say he was going to Providence for Midnight Madness because he had never been to the school before and he wanted to see the place where his dad who he never met, Jimmy Walker, was a legend. Mike Jackson, former UM asst, is also coaching at Providence now and he’s pretty close with Jalen.

I’d be ecstatic with any two of Ramsey, Thornton, Langford and Hughes at the 1 and 2 for '16.

I have to give Guestavo his due…he said Hughes had potential to be a really good player. I’ve seen some recent clips, and his athleticism is certainly above average at this point. Jury is still out on the handle, but he looks to be a decent prospect that is set to blow up.

2016 @all_ohio & Garfield G Frankie Hughes (@4l0W_) had Miami (FL) into see him today per @ChetMason32 #NextUp

— NextUpRecruits.com (@NextUpRecruits) October 24, 2014

Not that I’m looking for credit, but I believe some of the rest of us including myself liked his film too. And I think he’s always seemed plenty athletic - on par with Hardaway I’d say.

It will be interesting to see if and when we turn up the heat on some of these guys. Over the past two years, we seem to have let Jordan Barnett, McQuaid, Ahrens, and now Kyle Guy go elsewhere without offering. It will be interesting to see if we end up regretting any of those.

Not that I'm looking for credit, but I believe some of the rest of us including myself liked his film too. And I think he's always seemed plenty athletic - on par with Hardaway I'd say.

It will be interesting to see if and when we turn up the heat on some of these guys. Over the past two years, we seem to have let Jordan Barnett, McQuaid, Ahrens, and now Kyle Guy go elsewhere without offering. It will be interesting to see if we end up regretting any of those.

People used to complain that Beilein couldn’t/wouldn’t recruit 5 stars and focused on kids like Guy, Hughes, McQuaid, Ahrens. Now people are questioning recruitment of 5 stars and suggesting that he’s missing out on the second tier kids by not offering, as well. Do you feel that Beilein should have offered one or more of those kids?

No, I agree with your dewcrip

Sorry, I agree with your description - damned if you do, damned if you don’t. The one guy I did want us to offer was Barnett. We’ll see if he winds up being better than MAAR and Dawkins. Maybe not. I would have been fine if we offered McQuaid, who had a strong AAU season after not playing well in front of JB. I’d also like to see us stay close with Hughes in case Battle and Langford don’t pan out.

2016 is probably the last time we chase 5 star talents and pass on players like Guy if we don’t land any of our top guys. Another guy we may regret passing on is Moyer. Or not.

Well, no…you’re not “damned” if you’re going after guys that you have a reasonable chance of landing, and if that’s proved out by your success rate. The criticism comes when you’re having to settle for guys a couple of tiers lower than what you went for too often. And even then, you’re not “damned” if you’re landing guys who turn out to be really good on the floor.

I think you’re missing the point a little. We had a very reasonable chance (probably a very good chance) of landing guys like Barnett, McQuaid, Ahrens, and Guy, but passed on them in pursuit of bigger fish.

You’re damned if you chase the five stars and miss, but if you don’t, no doubt half our fan base would ask why we’re “settling” for lesser ranked guys. You see that already with Duncan Robinson - half this board was furious that we signed him and dropped the higher rated Coleman even though Coleman was hardly a sure thing.

Even though we’ve all been told they don’t matter in recruiting these days…

HOMEGROWN! Detroit! These guys were a huge part of the reason I'm at Michigan!